Edinburgh Bookshelf

Kay's Originals Vol. 2


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 7 all the officers on the expedition that they did not wear their swords on account of the excessive heat, but carried bayonets instead; and, to account for its being found drawn, he asserted that it was so loose that it had fallen out during the rencontre. He contended that the swords differed only in the mountinghis own being a broadsword. Respecting the wounds, he declared that the four on the arm and hand were given on Macharg’s repeated endeavours to seize his sword; and he contended that the Captain’s sword being found near the body, and the scabbard in the tent-its being bloody, and his (the Major’s) clothes being cut-his hand wounded, and the guard of his sword brokenproved that Macharg was armed for his defence. He also endeavoured to prove by a witness that the Captain followed him voluntarily out of the tent with his sword drawn. “10th ApnZ 1762.-The Court, on due consideration of the whole matter before them, are of opinion that Major-Commandant Colin Campbell is guilty of the crime laid to his charge ; hut there not being a majority of voices sufticient to punish with death, as required by the articles of war, the Court doth adjudge the said Major-Commandant Colin Campbell to he cashiered for the same : and it is further the opinion of the Court, that he is incapable of serving his Majesg in any military eniployment whatever. ” This sentence was con’firmed by his Majesty ; and the Major was cashiered. On his return to England, he presented a memorial to the Secretary of War, bitterly inveighing against General Monckton, who commanded in the Island of Martinico, and charging him with numerous instances of abuse of power. A court-martial was in consequence held at the Judge-Advocate’s Office in 1764 ; but the General was honourably acquitted. An action for assythment was subsequently brought before the Court of Session against Major Campbell, at the instance of James Macharg of Keirs, father, and Quintin and Isobel Macharg, the brother and sister of the deceased Captain. The Court having found Kilberry liable in damages, February 4, 1767, he lodged a reclaiming petition, which gave rise to further discussion. On the 29th of July following, their lordships, by a majority of eight to six, confirmed their former judgment. Ultimately the damages were fixed at i200. Major Campbell resided principally in Edinburgh, where he attracted notice by his foppery. The Print gives an excellent representation of his figure and style of dress.’ This foible rather increased than diminished as he advanced in life ; and when age had rendered him bald, he wore a wig in imitation of his own hair, which he powdered and perfumed after the most approved manner. He was a devoted admirer of the fair sex, over whom his conquests were innumerable- at least so he insinuated. In appearance,address, and mode of speaking, he was a sort of Lord Ogleby. He repaired almost every summer to Buxton, and other fashionable watering-places, that he might have an opportunity of extending his conquests. He was never married; and, on his death, which occurred at Edinburgh in 1782, his estate of Kilberry descended to his nephew. The following was the sentence of the court-martial :- The Major WBS short and rather dumpy. His brother, who obtained the rank of Major-Genera4 and died of the yellow fever in the West India, was a tall, handsome man, and one of the best officen in the army.
Volume 9 Page 8
  Enlarge Enlarge  
8 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. No. CLXXIII. THE LAWNMARKET COACH ; A JOURNEY ALONG THE MOUND. THIS Print is commemorative of an affair connected with the formation of the Mound, or “ Mud Brig,” as, in olden time, it was not unfrequently called by the lower classes. The inconvenience arising from the want of direct communication between the Lawnmarket and Princes Street began to be seriously felt as the New Town extended towards the west. In 1783, when the Mound was first projected, Princes Street was built as far as Hanover Street. Prior to this, some individuals in Edinburgh had formed an association for the purpose of furthering Burgh Reform. Among the members were Lord Gardenstone, Robert Grahame of Gartmore, William Charles Little of Liberton, and several other gentlemen holding similar opinions. This movement in the capital was speedily responded to in the provinces, and delegates were despatched from almost all the Royal Burghs in Scotland to co-operate with the committee formed in Edinburgh. The first Convention was held in Mary’s Chapel, on the 25th March 1784-Mr. Little of Liberton,’ president-at which resolutions were passed declaratory of their rights as citizens. Some of the original promoters of the Burgh Reform Convention, encouraged by the success of their political exertions, began to agitate on the subject of local improvements. Residing chiefly either in the Lawnmarket or its neighbourhood, they had long felt the want of some kind of communication with Princes Street more direct than by the North Bridge. They at first thought of applying for aid by petition to the Town Council; but, recollecting how obnoxious their late proceedings must have rendered them to the corporation, they abandoned the idea, and resolved to open a subscription, which they did at “ Dunn’s Hotel,”’ for the purpose of constructing a thoroughfare. The subscription was Mr. Little lived in a house at the bottom of Brodie’s Close, Lawnmarket, built by his ancestor William Little, a magistrate of Edinburgh in the reign of James VI., and xhich was entailed in the family; it wa8 afterwards occupied by Deacon Brodie, from whom the Close obtained its name. The tenement was demolished to make room for the city improvements. Several of the carved stones, and other parts of the house, have been taken to Inch House (Mr. Little’s residence near Liberton), as relics of the habitation of the predecessors of the family. Mr. Little afterwards resided in a house forming the angle between Potterrow and Bristo Street, which was known, from its shape, by the name of the Ace of Czuhs. a A small phblic-house in the Lawnmarket, at the mouth of the uppermost entry to Jam& Court, kept by Robert Dunn, much frequented by the merchants at that period, and termed ‘‘Dum’s Hotel,” by way of burlesque-Dum’s elegant hotel in Princes Street having been then newly opened.
Volume 9 Page 9
  Enlarge Enlarge