Edinburgh Bookshelf

Kay's Originals Vol. 1


152 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. death of his wife, which occurred in September 1807, is thus recorded in one of the Edinburgh periodicals of the day :-'' Died on Monday last, with the well-merited reputation of an honest, inoffensive woman, Mrs. Charteris, who has been in this theatre for more than thirty years. She succeeded the muchadmired Mrs. Webb, and, for many years after that actress left the city, was an excellent substitute in Lady Dove, Juliet's Nurse, Debmah Woodcock, DOTCUMST,S . Bundle, etc., etc." To her succeeded Mrs. Nicol, whose merits are too well known to require any comment from us. She retired from the stage in 1834, after a career of twenty-seven years, and died the year following. Her daughter at present (1 837) fills her range of characters in the Edinburgh theatre, and bids fair to become as excellent and as popular an actress as her mother. No. LXIV. THE REV. JOSEPH ROBERTSON MACGREGOR, FIRST iWINISTER OF THE EDINBURGH GAELIC CHAPEL. THE old Gaelic Chapel at the Castlehill was erected in 1769, principally by the exertions of Mr. William Dickson, then a dyer in Edinburgh, who set on foot subscriptions, and purchased ground for the purpose, which was afterwards conveyed to the Society for propagating Christian Knowledge. In the course of seven years afterwards, owing to the rapid influx of people from the Highlands, it was found necessary to enlarge the building, which was then done so as to accommodate eleven hundred sitters ; and although in connection with the Established Church, the subscribers and seat-holders chose their own minister, and provided him with a salary of €100 a-year. The same method of choosing a pastor still exists. The management of the chapel is placed in the hands of elders, who pay over the seat-rents to the Society for Propagating Christian Knowledge, and the Society takes the responsibility of making good the minister's stipend, which is now considerably increased. MR. JOSEPRHOB ERTSONM ACGREGORth, e first minister of the chapel, was a native of Perthshire. For some time after he came to Edinburgh he was employed as a clerk in an upholstery warehouse ; but in a few years was enabled,' by great industry, to push himself forward. He became a licentiate of the Church of England, but subsequently joined the Established Church of Scotland. Previous to the erection of the Gaelic Chapel he was employed as a Lecturer and Catechist to the Highland families, who obtained the use of the Relief Chapel, in South College Street, to assemble in after sermon, for the purpose of instruction. Mr. Macgregor was originally known by the name of Robertson,
Volume 8 Page 214
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print