Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. IV


OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH [The Meadows. 348 damp and melancholy place, even in summer, though much frequented as a public walk. The western end obtains still the name of Hope Park, and a more modern street close by bears the name of his Fifeshire estate-Bankeillor-now passed to another family. Among these Improvers were the Earls of Stair, Islay, and Hopetoun, the Lords Cathcart and Drummore, with Dalrymple of Cousland and Cockburn of Ormiston. Lord Stair was the first to raise turnips end of the central walk, and a little, but once famous, cottage and stable, where asses? milk was sold, long disfigured the upper walk at Teviot Row. A few old-fashioned villas were on the south side of the Meadows ; in one of these, in 1784, dwelt Archibald Cockburn, High Judge Admiral of Scotland No. 6 Meadow Place was long the residence of David Irving, LL.D., author of ? The Lives of the Scottish Poets? and other works, librarian to the Faculty of Advocates; and in Warrender THE MEADOWS, ABOUT 1810. (From a Pdntingim fheposscssim of Dr. 7. A. Sidey.) in the open fields, and so laid the foundation of the most important branch of the store-husbandry of modem times. The Meadows were longa fashionable promenade. ?There has never in my life,? says Lord Cockbum, ? been any single place in or near Edinburgh which has so distinctly been the resort at once of our philosophy and our fashion. Under these poor trees walked, and talked, and meditated, all our literary and scientific, and many of our legal, worthies of the last and beginning of the present century.? They still form the shooting ground of the Royal Company of Archers. A species of ornamental arbour, called ?The Cage,? stoodlong at the south Lodge, Meadow Place, ?lived and died James Ballantine, the genial author of ? The Gaberlunzie?s Wallet and other works of local notoriety, but more especially a volume of one hundred songs, with music, many of which are deservedly popular. Celebrated in his own profession as a glass-stainer, he was employed by the Royal Commissioners on the Fine Arts, to execute the stained glass windows for the House of Lords at Westminster. Now the once sequestered Meadows, save on the southern quarter, which is open to Bruntsfield Links, are well-nigh completely encircled by new lines of streets and terraces, and are further intersected by the fine modem drive named from Sir 1 John Melville, who was Lord Provost in 1854-9.
Volume 4 Page 348
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures