Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. III


did not correspond in paint of date with the shirts they accompanied.? Lord Napier died in 1823. His house, together with Nos. 70 and 72 (in the early part of the century the abode of John Mill, Esq., of Noranside), became afterwards one large private hotel, attached to the Hopetoun Rooms. In the former the late Duchess of Kent and others ff note frequently put up, and in the latter many important meetings and banquets have been held. Among these notably was the one given to Sir Edward Bulwer Lytton in 1854 on the occasion of his inauguration as President of the Associated Societies of the University. Sk William Stirling of Keir, M.P., occupied the chair, and the croupiers were Sir Jarnes Y. Simpson and Professor Blackie. When the army and navy were proposed, Professor -4ytoun facetiously responded for the latter as ? Admiral of Orkney,? being sheriff of those isles, and in reply to an eloquent address of Bulwer?s, which he closed by coupling the health of CHAPTER XXI. THE STREETS CROSSING GEORGE STREET, AND THOSE PARALLEL WITH IT. Sir Archibald -4lison with the literature of Scotland, the latter replied, and introduced some political and anti-national remarks that caused disapprobation. The whole street front of the three houses is now occupied by the Edinburgh Educational Institution, or Ladies? College, where above 1,000 pupils (under the care of the Merchant Company) receive a course of study embracing English, French, German, Latin, and all the usual branches of literature, to which are added calisthenics, dancing, needlework, and cookery. The edifice was opened in October, 1876, and has as life governor the Earl of Mar and Kellie. After the formation of Queen Street, the now beautiful gardens that lie between it and Heriot Row and Abercrombie Place were long a neglected waste. It was not until 1823 that they were enclosed by parapet walls and iron railings, and were laid out in pleasure-walks and shrubberies for the inhabitants of these lodties. Rose Street-Miss Bums and Bailie Creech-Sir Egerton high-Robert Pollok-Thistle Street-The Dispensary-Hill Stmt-Count d?Albany-SL Andnw Street-Hugo Amot-David, Earl of Buchan-St. David Street-David Hum-Sir Walter Scott and Basil Hall- Hanover Street-% J. Gnham Dalyell-Offices of Association for the Improvement of the Poor-Frederick Strat-Granr of Corrimony- Castle Street-A Dinnu with Sir Wdter Scott-Skcne of Rubislaw-key N a p i e r a t l e Street and Charlotte Street. IN 1784 the magistrates made several deviations from the plan and elevations for building in the New Town; and at that time the names and designs for the two Meuse Lanes, running parallel with George Street, but on the south and north sides thereof, were changed to Rose Street and Thistle Street. These were accordingly built in an inferior style of architecture and of rougher work, for the accommodation of shopkeepers and others, with narrower lanes for stabling purposes behind them. Rose Street and Thistle Street lie thus on each side of the great central street of the first New Town, at the distance of zoo feet, and are, like it, 2,430 feet long, but only thirty broad. The first inhabitants were at least people of the respectable class; but one lady who resided in Rose Street in 1789 obtained a grotesque notoriety from the manner in which she became embroiled with the magistrates, and bad her named linked with that of Bailie-afterwards Lord Provost- Creech. Miss Burns was a native of Durham, where her father had been a man of wealth, but became unfortunate ; thus his family were thrown on the world. His daughter appeared in Edinburgh in 1789, when she had barely completed her twentieth year, and there ?her youth, her remarkable beauty, and the extreme length to which she camed the then extravagant mode of dress, .attracted such notice on the evening promenades that she was brought before the ?bailies at the instance of some of her neighbours, more particularly Lord Swinton,-who died in 1799, and whose back windows faced hers in Rose Street ; and she was banished the city, with the threat from Bailie Creech that if she returned she would get six months in the House of Correction, and thereafter be drummed out. Against this severe decision she appealed to the Court of Session, presenting a Bill of Suspension to the Lordordinary (Dreghorn), which was refused ; it came before the whole bench eventually, and ?the court was pleased to remit to the Lord Ordinzry to pass the Bill.? The papers now became filled with squibs at the expense of Bailie Creech, and a London journal
Volume 3 Page 158
  Enlarge Enlarge  
Rase Street.] HUG0 ARNOT. ?59 announced that Bailie Creech, of literary celebrity, was about to lead Miss Burns of Rose Street ?? to the hymeneal altar.? In hiswrath, Creech threatened an action against the editor, whose contradiction made matters worse :-? In a former number we noticed the intended marriage between Bailie Creech of Edinburgh and the beautiful Miss Bums of the same place. We have now the authority of that gentleman to say that the proposed marriage is not to take place, matters having been otherwise arranged, to the mutual satisfaction of both parties and their respective friends.? After a few years of unenviable notoriety, says the editor of *? Kay,? Miss Burns fell into a decline, and died in 1792 at Roslin, where a stone in the churchyard records her name and the date of her demise. In the same year of this squabble we find a ball advertised in connection with the now unfashionable locality of Rose Street, thus :-? Mr. Sealey (teacher of dancing) begs to acquaint his friends and the public that his ball is iixed for the 20th of March next, and that in order to accommodate his scholars in the New Town, he proposes opening a school in Rose Street, Young?s Land, opposite to the Physicians? Hall, the 24th of that month, where he intends to teach on Tuesdays and Fridays from nine in the morning, and the remainder of the week at his school in Foulis?s Close, as formerly.? In 1796 we find among its residents Sir Samuel Egerton Leigh, Knight, of South Carolina, whose lady ? was safely delivered of a son on Wednesday morning (16th March) at her lodgings in Rose Street.? Sir Samuel was the second son of Sir Egerton high, His Majesty?s AttorneyGenerd for South Carolina, and he died at Edinburgh in the ensuing January. He had a sister, married to the youngest brother of Sir Thomas Burnet of Leya This son, born at Edinburgh in 1796, succeeded in ISIS to the baronetcy, on the death of his uncle, Sir Egerton, who married Theodosia (relict of Captain John Donellan), daughter of Sir Edward, and sister of Sir Theodosius Edward Boughton, for the murder of whom by poison the captain was executed at Warwick in 1781, It was in Dr. John Brown?s Chapel in Rose Street, that Robert Pollok, the well-known author of ?The Course of Time,? who was a licentiate of the United Secession Church, preached his only sermon, and soon after ordination he was attacked by that pulmonary disease of which he died in 1827. In 1810 No. 82 was ?Mrs. Bruce?s fashionable boarding-school,? and many persons of the greatest respectability occupied the common stairs, particularly to the westward ; and in Thistle Street were many residents of very good position. Thus No. z was the house, in 1784, of Sir John Gordon, Bart. ; and Sir Alexander Don, Bart., of Newton Don, lived in No. 4, when Lady Don Dowager resided in No. 53, George Street (he had been one of the d h u s in France who were seized when passing through it during the short peace of 1802), and a Mrs. Colonel Ross occupied No. 17, Under the name of Hill Street this thoroughfare is continued westward, between Fredenck Street and Castle Street, all the houses being ?selfcontained.? The Right Hon. Charles Hope of Granton, Lord Justice Clerk, had his chambers in No. 6 (now writers? offices) in ~808 ; Buchanan of Auchintorlie lived in No. I I, and Clark of Comrie in No. 9, now also legal offices. In one of the houses here resided, and was married in 1822, as mentioned in Bkrckwoad?s Magazine for that year, Charles Edward Stuart, styled latterly Count d?Albany (whose son, the Carlist colonel, married a daughter of the Earl of Errol), and who, with his brother, John Sobieski Stuarf attracted much attention in the city and Scotland generally, between that period and 1847, and of whom various accounts have been given. They gave themselves out as the grandsons of Charles Edward Stuart, but were said to be the sons of a Captain Thomas Allan, R.N., and grandsons of Admiral John Carter Allan, who died in 1800. Seven broad and handsome streets, running south and north, intersect the great parallelogram of the New Town. It was at the corner of one of those streets-but which we are not told-that Robert Burns first saw, in 1787, Mrs. Graham, so celebrated for her wonderful beauty, and whose husband commanded in the Castle of Stirling. From the summit of the ridge, where each of these streets cross George Street, are commanded superb views : on one side the old town, and on the other the northern New Town, and away to the hills of Fife and Kinross. According to ? Peter Williamson?s Directory,? Hugo Arnot, the historian, had taken up his abode in the Meuse Lane of South St. Andrew Street in 1784. His own name was Pollock, but he changed it to Arnot on succeeding to the estate of Balcormo, in Fifeshire. In his fifteenth year hC became afflicted with asthma, and through life was reduced to the attenuation of a skeleton. Admitted an advocate in 1772, he ever took a deep interest in all local matters, and published various essays thereon, and his exertions in promoting the improvements then in progress in Edinburgh were which is now the New Town dispensary. c
Volume 3 Page 159
  Enlarge Enlarge