Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. III


96 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [The Mound. arts classes as well as those for theology; and accordingly Mr. Patrick C. Macdougal was appointed, in 1844, Professor of Moral Philosophy, the Rev. John Millar was appointed Classical Tutor, and in 1845 the Rev. Alexander C. Fraser was appointed Professor of Logic. To give effect to the view long cherished by the revered Dr. Chalmers, that logic and ethics should follow the mathematical and physical sciences in the order of study, the usual order thereof was practically altered, though not imperatively so. procured in George Street, and there the business of the college was conducted until 1850. These class-rooms were near the house ot Mr. Nasmyth, an eminent dentist, and as the students were in the habit of noisily applauding Dr. Chalmers, their clamour often startled the patients under the care of Mr. Nasmyth, who by letter requested the reverend principal to make the students moderate their applause, or express it some other way than beating on the floor with their feet. On this, Dr. Chalmers promptly informed THE BANK OF SCOTLAND, FROM PRINCES STREET GARDENS. The provision thus made for arts classes was greatly due to the circumstance that at that time the tests imposed upon professors in the established universities were of such a nature and mode of application as to exclude from the professorial chairs all members of the Free Church. When these tests were abolished, and Professors Fraser and Macdougal were elected to corresponding chairs in the University of Edinburgh, in 1853 and 1857, this extended platform was renounced, and the efforts of the Free Church of Scotland were concentrated exclusively upon training in theology. Premises-however, inadequate for the full development of the intended system-were at once them of the dentist?s complaint, and begged that they would comply with his request. ?I would be sorry indeed if we were to give offence to any neighbour,? said the principal j adding, with a touch of that dry humour which was peculiar to him, ?but more especially Mr. Nasmyth, a gentleman so very much in the mouths oi the public.? Immediately after the Disruption, Dr. Chalmers had taken active steps to secure for the Free Church a proper system of theological training, in full accordance with the principles he had advocated so long, and subscription lists were at once opened to procure a building suited to the object. Each contributor gave Lz,ooo, and Dr. Welsh succeeded in obtaining from twentp
Volume 3 Page 96
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures
THE FREE CHURCH COLLEGE. 97 The Mound] one persons ;61,ooo each, a sum which more than sufficed to purchase the site of the college-the old Guise Palace, with its adjacent closes-and to erect the edifice, while others were built at Glasgow and Aberdeen. Plans by W. H. Playfair, architect, were prepared and adopted, after a public competition had been resorted to, and the new buildings were at once proceeded with. The foundation stone was iaid on the 4th of June, 1846, by Dr. Chalmers, ~ The stairs on the south side of the quadrangle lead to the Free Assembly Hall, on the exact site of the Guise Palace. It was erected from designs by David Bryce, at a cost of A7,000, which was collected by ladies alone belonging to the Free Church throughout Scotland. The structure was four years in completion, and was opened on the 6th of November, 1850,under the sanction of the Commission of the Free General Assembly, by their moderator, Dr. N. Paterson, LIBRARY OF THE FREE CHURCH COLLEGE. (Fwm o P/wtozm#h by G. W. Wi&on and Co.) exactly one year previous to the day which saw his remains consigned to the tomb. The ultimate cost was ;646,506 8s. Iod., including the price of the ground, Ero,ooo. The buildings are in the English collegiate style, combining the common Tudor with somd of the later Gothic They form an open quadrangle (entered by a handsome groined archway), 165 feet from east to west and 177 from south to north, including on the east the Free High Church. The edifice has two square towers (having each four crocketed pinnacles), IZI feet in height, buttressed at the corners from base to summit. There is a third tower, 95 feet in height. The college contains seven great class-rooms, a senate hall, a students' hall, and a library, the latter adorned with a statue of Dr, Chalmers as Principal, by Steel 61 who delivered a sermon and also a special address to the professors and students. Subsequently, this inaugural sermon and the introductory lectures delivered on the same occasion to their several classes by Professors Cunningham, Buchanan, Bannerman, Duncan, Black, Macdougal, Fraser, and Fleming, were published in a volume, as a record of that event. The constitution of this college is the same as that of the Free Church colleges elsewhere. The Acts of Assembly provide for vesting college property and funds, for the election of professors, and for the general management and superintendence of college business. The college buildings are vested in trustees appointed by the Church. A select committee is also appointed bp the j General Assembly, consisting of " eleven ministers
Volume 3 Page 97
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures