Edinburgh Bookshelf

Memorials of Edinburgh in the Olden Time


THE WEST BOW AND SUBURBS. 345 the builder’s initials, a large ornamental shield bears the device of a pot full of lilies, one of the most common emblems of the Virgin Mary. John Lowrie’s initials are repeated in ornamental characters on the eastern crow-step, separated by what appears to be designed for a baker’s peel, and probably indicating that its owner belonged to the ancient fraternity of baxters. The burgh of Easter Portsburgh, which is associated with its western neighbour under the same baron bailie, comprehends the Potterrow and adjoining district of Bristo, and includes several buildings of considerable interest, though not of great antiquity. One edifice, however, which appears in our view of the Potterrow, was a singular specimen of the ancient t i m b lands, and differed in character from any example of that style of building that now remains. It bore the distinctive title of the Mahogany Land, an epithet popularly applied to the most ornamental timber erections in different parts of the town, and had undoubtedly existed at the time when the Collegiate Church of St Mary stood in the neighbouring fields. Directly opposite to its site is a lofty building, erected, as appears from its title-deeds, in 1715, and which, we are informed by its proprietor, formed the lodging of the Earl of Morton. It has evidently been a mansion of some importance. A broad and handsome archway leads into an enclosed court behind, where there is cut, in unusually large letters, the inscription-BLIsET . BE. GOD . FOR. AL . HIS . GIFTIS .-and a monogram, now undecipherable. Robert, twelfth Earl of Morton, succeeded to the title the same year in which the house was built, and was again succeeded by his brother George, appointed Vice-Admiral of Scotland in 1733. He died at Edinburgh in 1738, and was buried in the Greyfriars’ Churchyard. Other associations, however, far surpassing those of mere rank and ancient lineage, will make this locality long be regarded as a peculiarly interesting nook of the Scottish metropolis. Nearly at the point of junction of the Potterrow with Bristo Street-once one of the two great thoroughfares from the south-there is a little, irregular, and desolate-looking court of antique buildings, bearing the name of General‘s Entry. The south and east sides of this little quadrangle are formed by a highly-decorated range of buildings. The crow-stepped gable at the south-east angle is surmounted by a curious old sun-dial, bearing the quaint punning moral, We shall die all; aud beyond this a series of sculptured dormer windows appear, in the highly-decorated style of the seventeenth century. On one of the sculptured pediments is a shield, bearing the unusual heraldic device of a monkey, with three stars in chief. It is surrounded by a border of rich Elizabethan scroll work in high relief; and beyond this, the initials J. D. The adjoining window bears, as its principal ornament, an ingenious monogram, formed of large ornamental Roman characters. The tradition is one of old standing, which assigns this mansion as the residence of General Monk, during his command in Scotland under Oliver Cromwell. This is usually referred to as the origin of the present name of the locality ; nor is the tradition altogether without some appearance of probability in support of it. The house, we believe, was erected by Sir James Dalrymple, afterwards Viscount Stair, justly regarded as the most eminent judge who ever presided on the Scottish Bench. He ia well known to have been a special favourite of General Monk, who frequently consulted him on matters of state, ahd recommended him to Cromwell in 1657 as the fittest person to be appointed a judge. Under these circumstances, it may be inferred, with little hesitation, that Monk was a frequent visitor, if not a constant guest, at General’s Entry, when he came into the capital from his head- * 2x
Volume 10 Page 378
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print