Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. VI


244 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Leith cost of .&3oo, and has two ornamental fronts; respectively with Ionic pillars and a Doric porch. St. John?s Established Church adjoins it. It was originally a chapel of ease, but became a Free Church from the Disruption in 1843 till 1867, when, by adjudication, it reverted to the Establishment. Designed by David Rhind, it has an imposing front in the Early Pointed style, surmounted by a lofty octagonal tower, terminating in numerous pinnacles, and not in a tall slender spire, accord- On the west side of Constitution Street, the way, for nearly 300 feet, is bounded by the wall enclos ing the burying-ground of St. Mary?s Church, to which access is here given by a large iron gate, after passing the Congregational chapel at the intersection of Laurie Street. In No. 132 have long been established the headquarters and orderly-room of the Leith Volunteer Corps, numbered as the 1st Midlothian Rifles. Originally clad in grey (like the city volunteers), THE TOWN HALL AND ST. JOHN?S ESTABLISHED cnuRcH. ing to the original intention of the talented architect. The Exchange Buildings at the foot of Constitution Street, opposite Bernard Street, were erected, at a cost of A16,000, in a Grecian style of architecture, and are ornamented in front by an Ionic portico of four columns. They are three storeys in height, and include public reading and assembly rooms ; but of late years assemblies have seldom been held in Leith, though they were usual enough in the last century. In the Week& Magazine for I 7 76 we read of a handsome subscription being sent by ?the subscribers to a dancing assembly in Leith,? through Sir William Forbes, for the relief of our troops at Boston. this regiment now wears scarlet, faced unrneanhgly with black, and their badge is the arms of Leiththe Virgin and Holy Child seated in the middle of a galley, with the motto, 4? Persevere.? The corps was raised when the volunteer movement began: under Colonel Henry Amaud, a veteran officer of the East India Company?s Service, who, in turn, was succeeded by D. R. Macgregor, Esq., the late popular M.P. for the Leith Burghs. On the same side of the street stands the Catholic Church of ?Our Lady, Star of the Sea,? built in 1853. It is a high-roofed cruciform edifice, in a coarse style of Early Gothic. Constitution Street is continued north to the intersection of Tower Street and the road beyond
Volume 6 Page 244
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures