Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. VI

Search

Onmond.1 HARBOUR AND ISLAND. 31.5 In the reign of David 11. Roger Greenlaw obtained a royal charter of the Butterland in the town of Cramond, ? quhilk? William Bartlemow resigned ;? and Robert 11. granted, at Edinburgh, in the eighteenth year of his reign, a charter of certain lands in King?s Cramond to William Napier, on their resignation by John, son of Simon Rede, in presence of the Chancellor, John, Bishop of Dunkeld, and others. In 1587 Patrick Douglas of Kilspindie became the south as the Pinnacle. In December, 1769, a whale, fifty-four feet long, was stranded upon it by the waves. About a mile northward and east of it, lies another rocky islet, three or four furlongs in circumferkhce, named Inchmickery, only remarkable for a valuable oyster bed on its shore, and for the rich profusion of sea-weed, mosses, and lichens, on its beach and surface. North from the point known as the Hunter?s Craig or Eagle?s Rock, westward of the harbour, THE ?TWA BRIGS,? CRAMOND. caution for John Douglas, in Cramond, and his son Alexander, that they would not molest certain parishioners there, nor ?? their wives, bairns, or servants.? The little harbour of Cramond is specified in the Exchequer Records as a creek within the port of Leith. It possesses generally only a few boats, but in 1791 had seven sloops, measuring 288 tons, employed by the iron works. Cramond Island, 19 acres in extent, lies 1,440 yards NNE of the pretty village. It rises high in the centre, with steep granite cliffs on the east, formerly abounded with rabbits, and is generally accessible on foot at low water. It now belongs to Lord Rosebery. The north point of the isle is known as the Binks; the stretch known as the Drum Sands extends for more than a mile. In 1639, Alexander, sixth Earl of Eglinton, h,$ed for two days at Cramond with his contingent for the Scottish army, consisting of zoo horse and 1,800 foot, en route for?Leith. In the time of Charles I. Cramond gave a title in the Scottish peerage, when Dame Elizabeth Beaumont, the wife of Sir Thomas Richardson, Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in England, was, for some reason now unknown, created Baroness Cramond for life, with the title of baron to the Chief Justice?s son and his heirs male; ??in failure of which, to the heirs male of his father?s body?-the first female creation on record in
Volume 6 Page 315
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures
OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. Scotland. But it does not appear that any of this family ever sat in Parliament. The title is supposed to be extinct, though a claim was advanced to it recently. The parish church is cruciform, and was erected Cromwell, as a commissioner for forfeited estates, in 1654. In 1795 there was interred here William Davidson, of Muirhouse, who died in his 8Ist year, and was long known as one of the most eminent of OLD CRAMOND BRIG. in 1656, and is in the plain and tasteless style of the period. On the north side of it is a mural tamb, inscribed-" HERE LYES THE BODY OF SIR JAMES HOPE, OF HOPETOW, WHO DECEASED ANNO 1661." It bears his arms and likeness, cut in bold relief. He was the fourth son of Sir Thomas Hope, of Craighall, was a famous alchemist in his time, and the first who brought the art of mining to any perfection in Scotland. He was a senator of the College of Justice, and was in league with Scottish merchants at Rotterdam, where he amassed a fortune, and purchased the barony of Muirhouse in 1776. Among the many fine mansions here perhaps the most prominent is the modem oiie of Barnton, erected on the site of an old fortalice, and on rising ground, amid a magnificently-wooded park 400 acres in extent, Barnton House was of old called Crainond [email protected], as it was once a royal hunting seat, and in a charter of Muirhouse, granted by
Volume 6 Page 316
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures