Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. V


Pottobello.] CHURCHES AND CHAPELS. I47 burgh, Portobello returns one member to the House of Commons. The Established parish church was built in 1810 as a chapel of ease, at the cost of only A2,650, but was enlarged in 1815. The Relief Chapel, belonging to a congregation formed in 1834, was built in 1825, and purchased in the former-named year by the minister, the Rev. David Crawford. St. John?s Catholic chapel (once Episcopal) in Brighton Place, was originally in 1826 a school is situated in the Niddry Road, about half a mile from the centre of the town, and was erected in 1875-6 at the cost of L7,ooo. It is a handsome edifice in the collegiate style for the accommodation of about 600 scholars. In form Portobello is partially compact or continuous. Its entire length is traversed by the High .Street (or line of the old Musselburgh Road), is called at its north-west end and for the remaining part Abercorn Street; and what-were the town an PLAN OF PORTOBELLO. villa, purchased in 1834 by the Bishop of Edinburgh for A600. The United Secession chapel is of recent erection, and belongs to a congregation formed in 1834. The Independent chapel was built in 1835, and belongs to the congregation which erected it. St. Mark?s Episcopal chapel is private property, and used to be rented at A40 yearly by the congregation, which was established in 1825. It was consecrated by Bishop Sandford in 1828. Another church, with a fine spire, has recently been erected in the High Street, for a congregation of United Presbyterians. A Free church stands at the east end of the main street. It was erected in 1876-7, and is a handsome Gothic edifice with a massive tower. A public old one and a marketing community-would be the Cross, is a point at which the main thoroughfare is divided into two parts, and where Bathgate goes off to the sea, and Brighton Place towards Duddingston. The suite of hot and cold salt-water baths was erected in 1806 at the cost of A4,000, and overlooks the beach, between the foot of Bath Street and that of Regent Street. Much enlargement of the town eastward of the railway station, and even past Joppa, to comprise a crescent, terraces, and lines of villas, was planned in the spring of 1876, and a projection of the new Marine Parade, which is 26 feet wide, was planned 300 yards eastward about the same time. At right
Volume 5 Page 147
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures