Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. V


Pottobello.] CHURCHES AND CHAPELS. I47 burgh, Portobello returns one member to the House of Commons. The Established parish church was built in 1810 as a chapel of ease, at the cost of only A2,650, but was enlarged in 1815. The Relief Chapel, belonging to a congregation formed in 1834, was built in 1825, and purchased in the former-named year by the minister, the Rev. David Crawford. St. John?s Catholic chapel (once Episcopal) in Brighton Place, was originally in 1826 a school is situated in the Niddry Road, about half a mile from the centre of the town, and was erected in 1875-6 at the cost of L7,ooo. It is a handsome edifice in the collegiate style for the accommodation of about 600 scholars. In form Portobello is partially compact or continuous. Its entire length is traversed by the High .Street (or line of the old Musselburgh Road), is called at its north-west end and for the remaining part Abercorn Street; and what-were the town an PLAN OF PORTOBELLO. villa, purchased in 1834 by the Bishop of Edinburgh for A600. The United Secession chapel is of recent erection, and belongs to a congregation formed in 1834. The Independent chapel was built in 1835, and belongs to the congregation which erected it. St. Mark?s Episcopal chapel is private property, and used to be rented at A40 yearly by the congregation, which was established in 1825. It was consecrated by Bishop Sandford in 1828. Another church, with a fine spire, has recently been erected in the High Street, for a congregation of United Presbyterians. A Free church stands at the east end of the main street. It was erected in 1876-7, and is a handsome Gothic edifice with a massive tower. A public old one and a marketing community-would be the Cross, is a point at which the main thoroughfare is divided into two parts, and where Bathgate goes off to the sea, and Brighton Place towards Duddingston. The suite of hot and cold salt-water baths was erected in 1806 at the cost of A4,000, and overlooks the beach, between the foot of Bath Street and that of Regent Street. Much enlargement of the town eastward of the railway station, and even past Joppa, to comprise a crescent, terraces, and lines of villas, was planned in the spring of 1876, and a projection of the new Marine Parade, which is 26 feet wide, was planned 300 yards eastward about the same time. At right
Volume 5 Page 147
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures
I48 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. rportobeiio. angles from this Parade there was constructed in 1871 a very handsome promenade iron pier, 1,250 feet long, at a cost of L7,ooo ; and in the following year a fine bowling-green was formed in Lee Crescent, off Brighton Place, measuring 40 yards by 45 ; and a roller skating-rink was opened in Bath Street in 1876, comprising a hall-rink, an out-door rink, a gallery or orchestra, and retiring-room. In Portobello are to be found quarters for all classes of visitors and summer residents. ? Many A house in Tower Street was the residence of Hugh Miller-that self-taught and self-made Scottish genius, author of ?? The Old Red Sandstone,? and other geological works, with lighter productions, such as ?? My Schools and Schoolmasters ; ?? and there, worn out by the ovenvork of a highly sensitive brain, he shot himself with a revolver in 1856. The event caused great excitement in Edinburgh, and his funeral was a vast and solemn one. ?You should have been in Edinburgh toof the private houses,? says a recent writer, ?? the mansions and villas, are the homes of capitalists and annuitants, who have adopted Portobello as their constant retreat, and who people it in sufficient numbers to give its resident or unshifting population a tone of selectness and elegance. In winter the town is far from having the forsaken and wan aspect which pervades a mere seabathing station ; and in summer it has an animation and gaiety superior to those of any other sea-bathing station in Scotland.? In 1839 a valuable oysterbed was discovered off the town. The Town Hall, with the Council Chambers and offices of the Commissioners of Police, is a handsome building in the principal thoroughfare, JOCK?S LODGE. day,? wrote Sydney Dobell to a friend, ?and seen the great army of the body that debouched inexhaustibly through all its main streets-a waving parti-coloured river, where a fallen child or a blind beggar made an instant mob, as in a stream at flood so much as a walking-stick set straight will make an eddy. It was curious to walk up the same streetson Monday, as I walked often past Hugh Miller?s house, and to think what different causes could produce the same ?pomp and circumstance? of populous life. Never since the death of Chalmers has Edinburgh been so unanimous in honour. Even Christopher North?s funeral was sectarial and cold in comparison. The shops were shut j the common people drew back in thick masses on each
Volume 5 Page 148
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures