Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. IV


278 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Lord Prowsta the city, Berwick, Roxburgh, and Stirling, met in Holyrood Abbey. After a gap of forty-eight years we find John Wigmer aZdermm in 1344. Thirteen years subsequently certain burgesses of Edinburgh and other burghs are found negotiating for the ransom of King David II., taken in battle by the English. In 1362 WilliamGuppeld was alderman, 9th April, and till 1369, in which year a council sat at Edinburgh, when the king granted a charter to the abbey of Melrose. In 1373 the dderman was Sir Adam Forrester, .said to be of Whitburn and Corstorphine, a man possessed of immense estates, for which he obtained no less than six charters under the great seal of Robert II., and was several times employed in -treaties and negotiations with the English, between In 1377 John of Quhitness first appears as Pmost, or Prepositus, on the 18th of May, and in the following year Adam Forrester was again in office. In 1381 John de Camera was provost, and in 1387 Andrew Yutson (or Yichtson), between whom, with ?Adam Forster, Lord of Nether Libberton,? the Burgh of Edinburgh, and John of -Stone, and John Skayer, masons, an indenture was made, 29th November, for the erection of five new -chapels in St. Giles?s, with pillars and vzulted roofs, -covered with stone, and lighted with windows. These additions were made subsequent to the burning of the city by the invaders under Richard of England two years before. In 1392 John of Dalrymple was provost, and *the names of several bailies alone appear in the Burgh Records (Appendix) till the time of Provost Alexander Napier, 3rd October, 1403, whom Douglas calls first Laird of Merchiston. Under him Symon de Schele was Dean of Guild and KeepeI .of the Kirk Work, when the first head guild was held after the feast of St Michael in the Tolbooth. Man of Fairnielee was provost 1410-1, and again in 1419, though George of Lauder was provost So lately as 1423 John of Levyntoun was styled alderman, with Richard Lamb and Robert of Bonkyl bailies, when the lease of the Canonmills was granted by Dean John of Leith, sometime Abbot of Holyrood, to ? the aldermen, baylyes, and dene of the gild,? 12th September, 1423. His successor was Thomas of Cranstoun, Preporitus, when the city granted an obligation to Henry VI. of England, for 50,000 merks English money, on account of the expenses of James I., while detained in England by the treasonable intrigues of his .uncle. William of Liberton, George of Lauder, 1 3 9 4 4 1404- hl 1413. and John of Levyntoun, appear as provosts successively in 1425, 1427, and 1428. In 1434 Sir Henry Preston of Craigmillar wag appointed provost; but no such name occurs in the Douglas peerage under that date. After John of Levyntoun, Sir Alexander Napier appears as provost after 1437, and the names of Adam Cant and Robert Niddry are among those of the magistrates and council. Then Thomas of Cranstoun was provost from 1438 till 1445, when Stephen Hunter succeeded him. With the interval of one year, during which Thomas Oliphant was provost, the office was held from 1454 to 1462 by Sir Alexander Napier of Merchiston, a man of considerable learning, whom James 11. made Comptroller ofScotland. In 1451 he had a safe-conduct from the King of England to visit Canterbury as a pilgrim, and by James 111. he was constituted Vice-Admiral. He was also ambassador to England in 1461 and 1462. In succession to Robert Mure of Polkellie, he was provost again in 1470, and until the election of James Creichton of Rothven, or Rowen, in 1477, when the important edict of James 111. concerning the market-places and the time of holding markets was issued. In 1481 the provost was Rilliarn Bertraham, who, in the following year, with ?the whole fellowship of merchants, burgesses, and community ? of? Edinburgh, bound themselves to repay to the King of England the dowry of his daughter, the Lady Cecil, in acknowledgment for which loyalty and generosity, James 111. granted the city its Golden Charter, with the banner of the Holy Ghost, locally known still as the Blue Blanket. In 1481 the provost was for the first time allowed an annual fee of A z o out of the common purse ; but, some such fee would seem to have been intended three years before. His successor was Sir John Murray of Touchadam, in 1482; and in the same year we find Patrick Baron of Spittlefield, under whose rt?gime the Hammermen were incorporated, and in 1484 John Napier of Merchiston, eldest son of Provost Alexander Napier. He was John Napier of Rusky, and third of Merchiston, whom James III., in a letter dated 1474, designates as OUY Zouift fandiar sqwiar, and he was one of the lords auditors in the Parliament of 1483. Two of his lineal heirs fell successively in battle at Flodden and Pinkie. The fourth provost in succession after him was Patrick Hepburn, Lord Hailes, 8th August. He was the first designated ?? My h r d Provost,? pre bably because he was a peer of the realm. He had
Volume 4 Page 278
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print