Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. IV


C a n d l d a Raw.] GEORGE BROWN. 269 ? school ; but Lord Hailes, after removing from Todrig?s Wynd, occupied a house in ?The So- . ciety,? before locating himself in New Street. Brown Square, now nearly swept away, was a small oblong place, about zoo feet east and west, by 150 north and south. During the long delay which took place between the first project of having a New Town, and building a bridge that was to lead to it, a rival town began to spring up in another quarter, which required neither a bridge nor an Act of Parliament, nor even the unanimity of several interested proprietors to mature it, and it soon became important enough to counteract for some years the extension by the ridge of the Lang In this quarter a fashionable boading-school for young ladies was established in the middle of $he last century by Mrs. Janet Murray, widow of Archibald Campbell, collector of the customs at Prestonpans. She died in the Society in 1770, and the establishment was then conducted by her friends under the name of ? Mrs. Murray?s Boarding School? To those who remember it in its latter days the locality seems a strange one for a young ladies? On the ground acquired so cheaply he proceeded at once to erect, in 1763-4, houses that were deemed fine mansions, and found favour with the upper classes, before a stone of the New Town was laid. Repenting of their mistake, the magistrates offered Mr. Brown Az,ooo for the grouid; but he, perceiving the success of his scheme, demanded Lzo,ooo, so the city relinquished the idea The square was quickly finished on nearly three sides, including the Society, znd one old mansion having an octagon turnpike stair, dated 17 18, at the north-east corner next Crombie?s Close, and became filled with inhabitants of a good class while George Square rose collaterally with it. ~ Dykes. This might have been prevented had the magistrates contrived to acquire a piece of ground south of the Old Town, which was offered to them for only ~ I , P O O , but which was purchased by a builder and architect namedGeorge Brown, abrother of Brown of Lindsaylands and Elliston. He was the projector and builder of George Square, and Jso built the large house of Bellevue (for General Scott of Balcomie), which stood so long in Dmmmond Place. THE CUNZIE HOUSE, CANDLEMAKER ROW,
Volume 4 Page 269
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures