Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. IV


PI0 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Melville Street pr0mot.e the pleasant intercourse of. those who practise art either professionally or privately ; to increase facilities for the study and observation of art, and to obtain more general attention to its claims. The association is composed of artists, professional and amateur, and has exhibitions of paintings, sculpture, and water-colour drawings, at intervals during the year, without being antagonistic in any way to the Royal Scottish Academy. Lectures are here delivered on art, and the entire institute is managed by a chairman and executive council, In No. 6 Shandwick Place Sir Walter Scott resided from 1828 to 1830, when he relinquished his office as clerk of session in the July of the latter year. This was his Zasf permanent residence in Edinburgh, where on two future occasions, however, he resided temporarily. On the 31st of January, 1831, he came to town from Abbotsford for the purpose of executing his last will, and on that occasion he took up his abode at the house of his bookseller, in Athole Crescent, where he resided for nine days. At that time No. 6 was the residence of Mr. Jobson. No. 11, now a hotel, was for about twenty years the residence of Lieutenant-General Francis Dundas, son of the second President Dundas, and brother of the Lord Chief Baron Dundas. He was long a colonel in the old Scots Brigade of immortal memory, in the Dutch service, and which afterwards came into the British in 1795, when his regiment was numbered as the 94th of the line. In 1802-3 he was Governor of the Cape of Good Hope. During the brief peace of Amiens, in accordance with his instructions to evacuate the colony, he embarked his troops on board the British squadron, but on the same evening, having fortunately received counter orders, he re-landed the troops and re-captured the colony, which has ever since belonged to Britain. In I 809 he was colonel of the 7 I st Highlanders, and ten years after was Governor of Dumbarton Castle. He died at Shandwick Place on the 4th of January, 1824 after a long and painful illness, ?which he supported With the patience of a Christian and the fortitude of a soldier.? . At the east end of Shandwick Place is St George?s Free Church, a handsome and massive Palladian edifice, built for the congregation of the celebrated Dr. Candlish, after a design by David Bryce, RSA, seated for about 1,250 persons, and erected at a cost, including;t;13,600 for the site, 01 ~31,000. In No. 3 Walker Street, the short thoroughfare between Coates Crescent and Melville Street, Su . Walter Scott resided with his daughter during the winter of 1826-7, prior to his removal to Shandwick Place. Melville Street, which runs parallel with the latter on the north, at about two hundred yards distance, is a spacious thoroughfare symmetrically and beautifully edificed; and is adorned in its centre, at a rectangular expansion, with a pedestrian bronze statute of the second Viscount Melville, ably executed by Steel, on a stone pedestal ; it was erected in 1557. This street contains houses which were occupied by two eminent divines, the Rev. David Welsh and the Rev. Andrew Thomson, already referred to in the account of St George?s parish church. In No. 36, Patrick Fraser Tytler, F.R.S.E., the eminent Scottish historian, resided for many years, and penned several of his works. He was the youngest son of Alexander Fraser Tytler, Lord Woodhouselee, and thus came of a race distinguished in Scottish literature. Patrick was called to the bar in 1813, and six years after published, at Edinburgh, a ?? Life of the Admirable Crichton,? and in 1826, a ?Life of WicliK? His able and laborious ? History of Scotland? first appeared in 1828, and at once won him fame, for its accuracy, brilliance, and purity of style ; but his writings did not render him independent, as he. died, when advanced in lie, in receipt of an honorary pension from the Civil List. In Manor Place, at the west end of Melville Street, lived Mrs. Grant of Laggan, the well-known authoress of ?? Letters from the Mountains,? and whose house was, in her time, the resort of select literav parties ; of whom Professor Wilson was always one. She had for some time previous resided in the Old Kirk Brae House. In 1825 an application was made on her behalf to George IV. for a pension, which was signed by Scott, Jeffrey, Mackenzie-? The Man of Feeling ?-and other influential persons in Edinburgh, and in consequence she received an annual pension of LIOO from the Civil Establishment of Scotland. This, with the emoluments of her literary works, and liberal bequests by deceased friends, made easy and independent her latter days, and she died in Manor Place, on the 7th of November, 1838, aged 84. It was not until 1868 that this street was edificed on its west side partially, Westward and northward of it a splendid new extension of the city spreads, erected subsequently to that year, comprising property now worth nearly&~,ooo,ooo. This street is named from the adjacent mansion house of the Walkers of Coates, and is on the property of the latter name. Lyingimmediately west
Volume 4 Page 210
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print