Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. IV


His pictures, the ?? Sale of Circassian Captives to a Turkish Bashaw,? purchased by the Earl of Wemyss and March, and the Jewish Family in Poland making merry before a Wedding,? were among the first of his works that laid the foundation of his future fame. His ?Murder of Archbishop Sharp,? and other works are too well-known to be referred to here; but the ?Battle of Bannockburn,? the unfinished work of his old THE RIGHT HON. CHARLES HOPE, COMMANDING THE EDINBURGH VOLUNTEERS. (A/?W Kay.) able lawyer and brilliant pleader. After bring junior counsel for the Crown, he was Sheriff of Perth for ten years after 1824, and twice Solicitor- General for Scotland before 1842. From 1842 to 1846 he was Lord Advocate. He was chosen Dean of Faculty in November, 1843, and annually thereafter, till raised to :he bench as a Lord bf Session and Justiciary in 1851, by the temtorial title of Lord Colonsay. In the following age, has never been engraved, nor is it likely to be so. Full of years and honour, he died on the 23rd of February, 1850, aged sixty-nine, attended and soothed to the last by the tenderness and affection of an orphan niece. The house opposite, No. 73, was for some fifty years the residence of Duncan McNeill, advocate, and latterly a peer under the title of Baron Colonsay. The son of John McNeill of Colonsay (one of the Hebrides, at the extremity of Islay), by the eldest daughter of Duncan McNeill of Dunmore, Argyleshire, he was born in the bleak and lonely isle of Colonsay in 1793, and after being educated at the Universities of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, he was called to the Scottish Bar in 1816, and very soon distinguished himself as a sound and year he was appointed Lord Justice-General and President of the Court, and was created a peer of Britain on retiring in 1867. He was a Deputy- Lieutenant of Edinburgh in 1854, and of Argyleshire in 1848, and was a member of the Lower House from 1843 to 1851. He died in February, 1874, when the title became extinct. In the same street, in Nos. 24 and 25 respectively, lived two other legal men of local note: Lord Kinloch, a senator, whose name was William Penny, called to the bar in 1824 and to the bench in 1858 ; and W. B. D. D. Tumbull, advocate, and latterly of Lincoln?s Inn, barrister-at-law. He was called to the Bar in ~832, together with Henry Glassford Bell and Thomas Mackenzie, afterwards Solicitor-Genera
Volume 4 Page 197
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures