Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. IV

Search

1230 by King Alexander II., and in its earliest charters named Mansio [email protected], as he had bestowed upon the monks a royal residence as their abode. The church built by Alexander was a large cruufsrm edifice with a central rood-tower and lofty spire. It was renowned for king the scene of the SIR JAMES PALSHAW, BART., AND H.m. LIEUTENANT OP EDINBURGH. (Fmm a Photograph ay 3~ha Meffat.) bishop of Glasgow and Lord High Chancellor, fled from the Douglases during the terrible street conflict or tulzie in 1519, and, as Pitscottie records, was dragged ? out behind the altar, and his rocki: riven aff him, and had been slake,? had not Gavin Douglas, Bishop of Dunkeld, interceded for him: in the realm, summoned in 1512 by the Pipal Legate, Cardinal Bagimont, who presided. In this synod, says Balfour, all ecclesiastical benefices exceeding forty pounds per annum were taxed in the payment of ten pounds to the Pope by way of pension, and to the King of Scotland such a tax as he felt disposed to levy. This valuation, which is still known by the name of Bagimont?s Roll, was made thereafter the standard for taxing the Scottish ecclesiastics at the Vatican. It was to this church that James Beaton, Archcrate bishop.? And here we may remark that the Scottish word fulzie, used by us so often, is derived from the French t&ifi--n; to confuse, or to mix The monastery was destroyed by an accidental fire in 1528, but the church would seem to have been uninjured by the view of it in 1544, though no doubt it would suffer, like all the others in the city, at the hands of the English in that year. In 1552 the Provost and Council ordered Alex. Park, city treasurer, to deliver to ?the Dene of Gild x li., that he may thairwith pay the Blak
Volume 4 Page 285
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures