Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. III


74 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Holyroob chateau of Chantilly, from plans by the royal architect, Sir William Bruce of Balcaskie and Kinross, the palace as we find it now was built by Charles 11. and James VII., with a zeal that has been supposed to imply forethought of having a fit retreat in their ancient capital if driven from that of England. The inscription in large Roman letters- FVN . BE. RO . MYLNE . MM . IVL . 1671- marks the site of the foundation of the modern additions ; it is in a pier of the north-west piazza. Before the Antiquarian Society in 1858 was read a statement of the ? Accounts of Sir William Bruce of Balcaskie, General Surveyor of H.M. Works, 1674-9.?? The re?ckoning between these years was it;160,000 Scots, of which sum four-fifths were spent on Holyrood, the new works on which had been begun, in 1671, and so vigorously carried on, that by January, 1674, the mason-work had been nekly completed. The Dutch artist, Jacob de Urt, was employed to paint ? One piece of historia in the king?s bed-chamber? for A120 Scots. The coats-of-arms which are above the great entrance and in the quadrangle were cut from his designs. Holyrood Palace is an imposing quadrangular edifice, enclosing a piazza-bounded Palladian court, ninety-four feet square. Its front faces the west, and consists of battlemented double towers on each flank. In the centre is the grand entrance, having double Doric columns, above which are the royal arms of Scotland, and over them an octagonal clock-tower, terminating in an imperial crown. The Gallery of the Kings, the largest apartment in the palace, is 150 feet long by 27 feet broad, and is decorated by a hundred fanciful portraits of the Scottish kings, from Fergus 1. to James VII., by Jacob de Urt, and there is an interesting portrait of Mary and of the latter monarch, and at the end of the gallery are four remarkable paintings, taken from Scotland by James VI., and sent back from Hampton Court in 1857. They represent James 111. and his queen Margaret of Denmark (about 1484), at devotion; on the reverses are Sir Edward Boncle, Provost of Trinity College ; the figure of St. Cecilia at the organ represents Mary of Gueldres, and the whole, which are by an artist of the delicate Van Eck school, are supposed to have formed a portion of the altarpiece of the old Trinity College Church. In this gallery the elections of the Scottish peers take place. Beyond it are Lord Darnley?s rooms ; among the portraits there are those of Darnley and his brother, and from thence a stair leads to Queen Mary?s apartments above. The Tapestry Room contains two large pieces of arras, and among several valuable portraits one of James Duke of Hamilton, beheaded in 1649. The Audience Chamber-the scene of Mary?s stormy interviews with Knox-is panelled and embellished with various royal initials and coatsarmorial ; the furniture is richly embroidered, and includes a venerable state-bed, used by Charles I., by Prince Charles Edward, and by Cumberland on the night of the 30th January, 1746. Mary?s bedchamber measures only 22 feet by 18 feet, and at its south-west corner is her dressing-room, The ancient furniture, the faded embroideries and tapestries, and general aspect of this wing, which is consigned peculiarly to memories of the past are all in unison with the place ; but the royal nursery, with its blue-starred dome, the Secretary of State?s room, with the royal private apartments generally now in use, are all in the south and eastern sides of the palace, and are reached by a grand staircase from the south-east angle of the court. CHAPTER XI. HOLYROOD PALACE (concZdaf). The King?s Birthday in 1665-James Duke of Albany-The Duchess of York and G e n d Daltell-Funeral of the Duke of Rothes - A Gladiatorial Exhibition-Departure of the Scottish Household Troops-The Hunters? Company?s Balls-Fmt and Second Viis of the Royal Family of France-Recent Improvements-St. h e ? s Yard removed-The Ornamental Fountain built. IN the IntelZ&zce for the 1st of June, 1665, we have a description. of the exuberant loyalty that followed the downfall of the Commonwealth. ?Edinburgh, May 29, being His Majesty?s birthday, was most solemnly kept by all ranks in this city. My Lord Commissioner, in his state, With his life-guard on horseback, and Sir Andrew Ramsay, Lord Provost, Bailies, and Council in their robes, accompanied by all the Trained Bands in arms, went to church and heard the Bishop of Edinburgh upon a text well applied for the work of the day. Thereafter thirty-five aged men in
Volume 3 Page 74
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print