Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. III


Holyrood.] SUCCESSION. OF ABBOTS. 47 between Randolph the famous? Earl of Moray and Sir William Oliphant, in connection with the forfeited estate of William of Monte Alto. Another species of Parliament was held at Holyrood on the 10th of February, in the year 1333-4, when Edward 111. received the enforced homage of his creature Baliol. XVI. JOHN II., abbot, appears as a witness to three charters in 1338, granted to William of Livingston, William of Creighton, and Henry of Brade (Braid?). XVII. BARTHOLOMEW, abbot in 1342. XVIII. THOMAS, abbot, witnessed a charter to William Douglas of that ilk, Sir James of Sandilands, and the Lady Elenora Bruce, relict of Alexander Earl of Carrick, nephew of Robert I., of the lands of the West Calder. On the 8th of May, 1366, a council was held at Holyrood, at which the Scottish nobles treated with ridicule and contempt the pretensions of the kings of England, and sanctioned an assessment for the ransom of David II., taken prisoner at the battle of Durham. That monarch was buried before the high altar in 1371, and Edward 111. granted a safe conduct to certain persons proceeding to Flanders to provide for the tomb in which he was placed. XIX. JOHN III., abbot on the 11th of January, ~372. During his term of office, John of Gaunt Duke of Lancaster, fourth son of Edward III., was hospitably entertained at Holyrood, when compelled to take flight from his enemies in England. XX. DAVID, abbot on the 18th of January, in the thirteenth year of Robert 11. The abbey was burned by the armyof Richard 11. whose army encamped at Restalrig; but it was soon after repaired. David is mentioned in a charter dated at Perth, 1384-5. XXI. JOHN (formerly Dean of Leith) was abbot on the 8th of May, 1386. His name occurs in several charters and other documents, and for the last time in the indenture or lease of the Canonmills to the city of Edinburgh, 12th September, 1423. In his time Henry IV. spared the monastery in gratitude for the kindness of the monks to his exiled father John of Gaunt. XXII. PATRICK, abbot 5th September, 1435. In his term of office James II., who had been born in the abbey, was crowned there in his sixth year, on the 25th March, 1436-7; and anothet high ceremony was performed in the same church when Mary of Gueldres was crowned -as Queen Consort in July, 1449. In the preceding year, John Bishop of Galloway elect became an inmate of the abbey, and was buried in the cloisters. XXIII. JAMES, abbot 26th April, 14~0. XXIV. ARCHIBALD CRAWFORD, abbot in 1457. He was son of Sir William? Crawford of Haining, and had previously been Prior of Holytood. In 1450 he was one of the commissioners who treated with the English at Coventry concerning a truce ; and again in 1474, concerning a marriage between James Duke of Rothesay and the Princess Cecile, second daughter of Edward IV. of England. He was Lord High Treasurer of Scotland in 1480. He died in 1483. On the abbey church (according to Crawford) his arms were carved niore than thirty times. ?He added the buttresses on the walls of the north and south aisles, and probably built the rich doorway which opens into the north aisle.? Many finely executed coats armorial are found over the niches, among them Abbot Crawford?s frequently- fesse ermine, with a star of five points, in chief, surmounted by an abbot?s mitre resting on a pastoral staff. XXV. ROBERT BELLENDEN, abbot in 1486, when commissioner concerning a truce with England. He was still abbot in 1498, and his virtues are celebrated by his namesake, the archdean of Moray, canon of ROSS, and translator of Boece, who says ?? he left the abbey, and died ane Chartour-monk.? In 1507 the Papal legate presented James IV., in the name of Pope Julius II., in the church, amid a brilliant crowd of nobles, with a purple crown adorned by golden lilies, and a sword of state studded with gems, which is still preserved in the Castle of Edinburgh. He also brought a bull, bestowing upon James the title of Defender of the Faith. Abbot Bellenden, in 1493, founded a chapel in North Leith, dedicated to St. Ninian, latterly degraded into a victual granary The causes moving the abbot to build this chapei, independent of the spiritual wants of the people, were manifold, as set forth in the charter of erection. The bridge connecting North and South Leith, over which he levied toll, was erected at the same time. XXVI. GEORGE CRICHTOUN, abbot in 1515, and Lord Privy Seal, was promoted to the see of Uunkeld in 1528. As we have recorded elsewhere, he was the founder of the Hospital of St. Thomas, near the Water Gate. An interesting relic of his abbacy exists at present in England. About the year 1750, when a grave was being dug in the chancel of St Stephen?s church, St. Albans, in Hertfordshire, there was found buried in the soil an ancient lectern bearing his name, and which is supposed to have been concealed there at some time during the Civil Wars. It is of cast brass, and handsonie in design, consisting of an eagle with expanded wings, supported by a shaft deco- The piers still remain.
Volume 3 Page 47
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print