Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. III


184 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Broughton. been placed along both sides of a road that ran east and west; those on the south being more detached, spread away upward nearly to York Place. The western end of the hamlet was demolished when the present Broughton market was constructed. From that portion, which had been a kind of square, a path led through the fields, where now London Street stands, to Canonmills. One by one the cottages have disappeared, in their rude construction, with forestairs and loopbuilding with a graceful spire 180 feet high. It was erected on the site of an ancient quarry, 1859-61, after designs by J. F. Rocheid, at the cost of ;613,000, and is in a mixed later English and Tudor style. Heriot?s school, also on the west side of the street, is one of the elementary institutions which the governors of George Heriot?s Hospital were empowered by Act of Parliament to erect from their surplus revenues., It is attended by about 3,400 boys and girls, and rises from a spacious and BROUGHTON BURN, 1850. From a Dmwiw by William Ckanniag, iff tkt hssessim of Dr. 3. A, .??,,+,.) hole windows, contrasting strongly with the new and fashionable streets that have replaced them. In the modern Broughton Street is a plain Ionic edifice, long used as a place of worship by the disciples of Edward Irving, and near it, at the south-east angle of Albany Street,.-the Independent church was built in 1816, at a cost of A4,000, and improved in 1867 at a cost of more than A200; a plain and unpretending edifice. The Gaelic church, which adjoins the Independent church, is the old Catholic Apostolic, which was bought in 1875 for about &~,ooo, improved for about _f;2,000, and opened in October 1876. SL Mary?s Free church is a beautiful Gothic airy arcade, under which they can play in wet weather. At the south-west corner of Broughton Place is St. James?s Episcopal chapel, which, in architecture externally, is assimilated with the houses of the street. It was built in 1829, and has attached to it, on the north, a neat school, built in 1869. Fronting Broughton Place, and at the eastern end thereof, stands the United Presbyterian church, built in 1821, at the cost of A7,ogg. It is a spacious edifice, with a very handsome tetrastyle Doriciportico, and underwent repairs in 1853 and 1870, at the united cost of A4,ooo. It is chiefly remarkable as the scene of the ministrations of the late Dr. John Brown.
Volume 3 Page 184
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures