Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. III


THE FREE CHURCH COLLEGE. 97 The Mound] one persons ;61,ooo each, a sum which more than sufficed to purchase the site of the college-the old Guise Palace, with its adjacent closes-and to erect the edifice, while others were built at Glasgow and Aberdeen. Plans by W. H. Playfair, architect, were prepared and adopted, after a public competition had been resorted to, and the new buildings were at once proceeded with. The foundation stone was iaid on the 4th of June, 1846, by Dr. Chalmers, ~ The stairs on the south side of the quadrangle lead to the Free Assembly Hall, on the exact site of the Guise Palace. It was erected from designs by David Bryce, at a cost of A7,000, which was collected by ladies alone belonging to the Free Church throughout Scotland. The structure was four years in completion, and was opened on the 6th of November, 1850,under the sanction of the Commission of the Free General Assembly, by their moderator, Dr. N. Paterson, LIBRARY OF THE FREE CHURCH COLLEGE. (Fwm o P/wtozm#h by G. W. Wi&on and Co.) exactly one year previous to the day which saw his remains consigned to the tomb. The ultimate cost was ;646,506 8s. Iod., including the price of the ground, Ero,ooo. The buildings are in the English collegiate style, combining the common Tudor with somd of the later Gothic They form an open quadrangle (entered by a handsome groined archway), 165 feet from east to west and 177 from south to north, including on the east the Free High Church. The edifice has two square towers (having each four crocketed pinnacles), IZI feet in height, buttressed at the corners from base to summit. There is a third tower, 95 feet in height. The college contains seven great class-rooms, a senate hall, a students' hall, and a library, the latter adorned with a statue of Dr, Chalmers as Principal, by Steel 61 who delivered a sermon and also a special address to the professors and students. Subsequently, this inaugural sermon and the introductory lectures delivered on the same occasion to their several classes by Professors Cunningham, Buchanan, Bannerman, Duncan, Black, Macdougal, Fraser, and Fleming, were published in a volume, as a record of that event. The constitution of this college is the same as that of the Free Church colleges elsewhere. The Acts of Assembly provide for vesting college property and funds, for the election of professors, and for the general management and superintendence of college business. The college buildings are vested in trustees appointed by the Church. A select committee is also appointed bp the j General Assembly, consisting of " eleven ministers
Volume 3 Page 97
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures