Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. II


High Street.] SIR WILLIAM DICK. 221 and only remaining part of the bishop?s house has been completely modernised, and faced with a new stone front j ?but many citizens still (in 1847) remember when an ancient timber faGade projected its lofty gables into the street, with tier above tier, then astonishing sum of ~zoo,ooo sterling, and whose chequered history presents one of the most striking examples of the instability of human affairs. farming the Crown rents of the northern isles at He came of Orkney people, and began life by ?. . THE NETHER BOW PORT, FROM THE HIGH STREET. (Frmn an 0n;PrircJ Draw& ammxg tk Kirg?s Prints nnd Drawings, BriiiSk Muscnm.) far out beyond the lower storey, while below were the covered piazza and darkened entrances to the gloomy laigh shops, such as may still be seen in the few examples of old timber lands that have escaped demolition? (Wilson). Here then abode Sir William Dick of Braid, provost of the city in 1638, whose wealth was so great that he was believed to have discovered the philosopheis stone, though his fortune only reached the .&,ooo sterling, after which he established an active trade with the Baltic and Mediterranean, and made, moreover, a profitable business by the negotiation of bills of exchange with Holland. ?? He had ships on every sea, and could ride on his own lands from North Berwick to near Linlithgow, his wealth centreing in a warehouse in the Luckenbooths, on the site of that now (in 1859) occupied by John Clapperton and Co.?
Volume 2 Page 221
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures