Edinburgh Bookshelf

Old and New Edinburgh Vol. II


THE SCHOOL OF ARE. 379 South Bridge.] called Adam Square. In those days the ground in front of these was an open space, measuring about 250 feet one way by zoo the other, nearly to Robertson?s Close in the Cowgate, which was concealed by double rows of trees. In one of these houses there resided for many years, and died on the 28th July, 1828, Dr. Andrew Duncan, First Physician to His Majesty for Scotland; and an eminent citizen in his day, so much so that his funeral was a public one. ?The custom of visiting Arthur?s Seat early on the morning of the 1st of May is, or rather was, observed with great enthusiasm by the inhabitants of Edinburgh,? says the editor of ? Kay?s Portraits.? ? Dr. younger son of Hope of Rankeillour, in Fife. Of Stewart and Lindsay, the former was the son of Charles Stewart of Ballechin, and the latter a younger son of Lindsay of Wormiston. Among the leading drapers : In the firm of Lindsay and Douglas, the former was a younger son of Lindsay of Eaglescairnie, and the latter of Douglas of Garvaldfoot. Of Dundas, Inglis, and Callender, the first was a son of Dundas of Fingarth, in Stirlingshire, the family from which the Earl of Zetland and Baron Amesbury are descended ; the second was a younger son of Sir John Inglis of Cramond, and succeeded to that baronetage, which, it may be remarked, took its rise in an Edinburgh merchant of the seventeenth century. Another eminent clothdealiog firm, Hamilton and Dalrymple, comprehended John Dalrymple, a younger brother of the wellknown Lord Hailes and a grandson of the first Lord Stair. He was at one time Master of the Merchant Company. In a fourth firm, Stewart, Wallace, and Stoddart, the leading partner was a .son of Stewart of Dunearn.? The Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce and Manufactures is an offshoot of the old Merchant Company in 1786, and consists of a chairman and deputy,with about thirty directors and other officers, and has led the van in patronising and promoting liberal measures in trade and commerce generally. The schools of the Edinburgh Merchant Company are among the most prominent institutions of the city at this day. More than twenty years behre the erection of the South Bridge, the celebrated Mr. Robert Adam, of Maryburgh in Fifeshire, from whose designs many of the principal edifices in Edinburgh were formed, and who was appointed architect to the king in 1762, built, on that piece of ground whereon the south-west end of the Bridge Street abutted, two very large and handsome houses, each with large bow-windows, which, being well recessed back, and having the College buildinas on the south, formed what was at an expense within {is reach; and the idea was the more favourably entertained because such a scheme was already in full operation at Anderson?s Institution in Glasgow, and the foundation of the Edinburgh School of Art in the winter of 1821 was the immediate result. With Mr. Horner many gentlemen well-known in the city cordially co-operated ; among these were Sir David Brewster, Principal of the University, Dr. Brunton, Mr. (afterwards Lord) Murray, Professor Pillans, Mr. Playfair, architect, Mr. Robert Bryson, and Mr. James Mylne, brassfounder. To enable young tradesmen to become acquainted with the principles or chemistry and Duncan was one of the most regular in his devotion to the Queen of May during the long period of fifty years, and to the very last he performed his wonted pilgrimage with all the spirit, if not the agility, of his younger years On the 1st of May, 1826, two years before his death, although aged eighty-two, he paid his annual visit, and on the summit of the hill read a few lines of an address to Alexander Duke of Gordon, the oldest peer then alive.? The Doctor was the originator of the Caledonian Horticultural Society, and the first projector of a lunatic asylum in Edinburgh Latterly the houses of Adam were occupied by the Edinburgh Young Men?s Christian Association, and the Watt Institution and School of Arts, which was founded by Mr. Leonard Horner, F.R.S., a native, and for many years a citizen, of Edinburgh, the son of Mr. John .Horner, of Messrs. Inglis and Horner, merchants, at the Cross. The latter years of his useful life were spent in London, where he died in 1864, but he always visited Edinburgh from time to time, and evinced the deepest interest in its welfare. In 1843 he published the memoirs and correspondence of his younger brother, the gifted Francis Horner (the friend of Lansdowne, Jeffrey, and Brougham), who died at Pisa, yet won a cenotaph in Westminster Abbey. To an accidental conversation in 1821, in the shop of Mr. Bryson, a watchmaker, the origin of the school has been traced. Mr. Horner asked whether the young men brought to Mr. Bryson?s trade received any mathematical education, and the latter replied that, ?it was seldom, if ever, the case, and that daily experience showed the want of this instruction; but that the expense and usual hours of teaching mathematical classes put it out of the power of working tradesmen to obtain such education.? The suggestion then occurred to Mr. Horner to devise a plan by which such branches of science as would benefit the mechanic might be taught at convenient hours and . .
Volume 2 Page 379
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print