Edinburgh Bookshelf

Edinburgh Past and Present


140 ROSLIN, HAWTHORNDEN, also his brother, Mr. Nicholas Monk, stayed with him about two months in the year 1659, having been sent, it is said, to sound his views as to the restoration of Charles. In November 1659, when Monk drew his army together from all parts of Scotland, in preparation for that famous march of his to London, which did lead to the restoration of Charles, Dalkeith at last relapsed into quietude. The crumbling ruins of a long stone building in the old Chapelwell Close, a tuping off the High Street nearly opposite the Church, are still known as ‘ Cromwell’s Orderly House.’ Cromwell had been in Scotland for about a year, and Dalkeith had been one of his stations ; but Monk was there so much longer and so much more familiarly, that if any one meets an English ghost thereabouts at night, in a military costume of the seventeenth century, he may be sure it is Monk‘s. DALKEITH PALACE. The present Palace was built by Anne, sister of the young Mary,’from whom it was leased by Monk. Mary was mamed at the age of eleven to Walter Scott of Harden, and died two years afterwards, leaving the property to her sister Anne. Anne was’but twelve years old when she was mamed to Charles II.’s unfortunate son the Duke of Monmouth, himself only fifteen, and on the day of their mamage they were created Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch. On the Duke’s death his confiscated lands &ere restored to-his widow ; and she built the present Palace of Dalke-ith, a gloomy-looking three sided erection, in imitation of the Palace of Loo in the Netherlands, designed
Volume 11 Page 199
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures