Edinburgh Bookshelf

Edinburgh Past and Present


92 QUEENSFERRY TO MUSSELBURGH. ~ Its harbour is its great attraction. A finer or roomier is rarely to be found anywhere; certainly not on the Firth. With an extent of pierage of over 1700 feet in length, and from 80 to 160 in breadth ; four pairs of jetties, each extending go feet at regular intervais ; two slips, 325 feet each, to facilitate the shipping and landing of cattle and heavy goods.at all states of the tide; a high solid wall cleft with short thoroughfares, trending along the middle of the esplanade; the whole being enclosed by a strong massive breakwater running out on the west about three-fourths of a mile from the pier, and on the east to a distance somewhat less, curving in a demicircle, and terminating on a line with the pier-head, so as to Ieave an entrance of considerable breadth -it affords not only a safe place to haven in, but is furnished, at the same time, with every convenience and mechanical appliance for the speedy loading GRANTON PIER. LEITH PIER. and unloading of the numerous vessels which frequent it. Let us add that it is the principal ferry from Edinburgh to Fife, vid the North British Railway, and fiom which steamers pIy regularly to and from London, Aberdeen, and Stirling. This harbour, begun in ~835,p artially opened in 1838, and completed in 1845, was erected at a cost of &io,ooo. To the west there is a hamlet of rather humble dwellings, built by the Duke for the accommodation of his work-people; while to the east, again, there is a village of cottages of a much better class, and two stories high, and which are likewise tenanted by the empZuyis of the harbour, with here and there a house of a more aspiring or pretentious character, occupied by the grocer, the baker,
Volume 11 Page 145
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures