Edinburgh Bookshelf

Edinburgh Past and Present

Search

Volume 11 Page 120
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures
EDINBURGH PAST AND PRESENT. Seton, in which James the Sixth was ' graciously pleased to rest himselfe,' the day on which he journeyed from Holyrood to London, to take possession of the English Crown.' With the following allusion to that touching incident Tytler concludes his Hidory of ScotZand:--' As the monarch passed the House of Seton, near Musselburgh, he was met by the funeral of the Earl of Winton, a nobleman of high rank; which, with its. solemn movement and sable trappings, occupied the road, and contrasted strangely and gloomily with the brilliant pageantry of the royal cavalcade. The Setons were one of the oldest and proudest families of Scotland; and (the father of) that Lord whose mortal remains now passed by, had been a faithful adherent of the King's mother: whose banner he had never deserted, and in whose cause he had suffered exile and proscription, The meeting was thought ominous by the people. It appeared, to their excited imagination, as if the moment had amved when the aristocracy of Scotland was about to merge in that of Great Britain j as if the Scottish nobles had finished their career of national glory, and this last representative of their race had been arrested on THE ROUNDLE. his road to the grave, to bid farewell to the last of Scotland's kings. As the mourners moved slowly onward, the monarch himself, participating in these melancholy feelings, sat down by the wayside, on a stone still pointed out to the historical pilgrim ; nor did he resume his progress till the gloomy procession had completely disappeared.' While Seton Church and Winton House are both about three miles beyond the eastern border of Midlothian, Niddry Castle, in Linlithgowshireanother possession of the Seton famiIy-is within a still shorter distance of its western boundary. Prettily situated on a tributary of the Almond Water, a The cut of the Roundle in the text is from a sketch made in 1824. Both the Roundle and the adjoining road were slightly altered when the North British Railway was constructed in 1845. 1 Si Richard Maitland's Hisfmy of firc Uosrsc of Sqtoun, p. 60.
Volume 11 Page 121
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures