Edinburgh Bookshelf

Memorials of Edinburgh in the Olden Time


54 MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH. one of which, called St Anthony's Gate, he was able to trace with certainty.' This port st&d at the north-west corner of St Anthony's Wynd, and some remains of the ancient bastion by which it was protected may still be seen 'in a neighbouring garden. This gate, as well as the street that now occupies its site, were so named from their picinity to the preceptory of St Anthony--a detailed account of which, as well as its aneient dependency on Arthur's Seat, will be found in a later part of the work. We have introduced here the view of a very curious house, the date of erection of which may be referred to this period. It stood on the west side of the Kirkgate, and wa8 only taken down in 1845. It had an inscription over the doorway, boldly cut --____~ _~ ~ --._-~ -- __~-_ __- ~~ _-_ =-- -_---__ -.__ \\ in old English letters- '4 ' 3Ebems flaria, Q and a niche above it, in which there had doubtless been a statue of the virgin and child. Local tradition pointed it out as a chapel founded by Mary of Guise, but apparently without any sufficient evidence. The English, before their last departure from Leith, had erected fortifications on the neighbouring island of Inchkeith, and left there a strong garrison, composed in part of a troop of Italian mercenaries in their pay, by whom it was held to the great detriment of vessels navigating the Firth. But now, as soon as Monsieur D'EssB had got the fortifications of Leith in a state of forwardness, a general attack was made upon Inchkeith, on Corpus Christi day, 1549,' by a combined force of Scotch and French troops, who embarked at break of day, in presence of the Queen Dowager ; when, after a fierce contest, the enemy were expelled from their stronghold, and .compelled to rjurrender at discretion, with the loss of their leader, and above 300 slain.' The island continued from that time to be held by a French garrison, on behalf of the Queen Dowager, until her death in 1560, and the remains of their fortifications are still visible there. But the Scottish nation were not long in experiencing the usual evils consequent on the employment of foreign troops. We have already, in an earlier part of the work,' given an illustration of the popular eatminxationo f such allies, and the gratitude of the common people on the present occasion does not seem to have been in any degree more sincere. Heartburnings and animosities had already been manifested during the campaign, and they at last broke out into open and fatal tumult in the capital. Maitland, p. 486. Bishop Lealie, p. 228. 8 Diurnal of OccurrentR, p. 48. * Chap. ii. p. 12.
Volume 10 Page 59
  Shrink Shrink   Print Print   Pictures Pictures