Edinburgh Bookshelf

Edinburgh Bookshelf

Search

Index for “Writer to the Signet”

GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF EDINBURGH.
BY THE REV. GEORGE GILFILLAN.
THERaEr e various difficulties which press heavily upon a writer who
ventures on such a task as the description of Edinburgh. There is the fact
that it has been so often described before, and that, after a thousand able
efforts to describe it, it remains, unless by Scott, undescribed and indescribable.
There is the kindred fact that there are so many fine points of view, each of
BANK OF SCOTLAND.
which constitutes a beautiful fragment, but to piece a11 of which into a satisfactory
whole-hic Cabor hoc ojus est/ To paint London is felt to be as
impossible as to paint Chaos, but from the comparative smallness and
compactness of Edinburgh it is always alluring the limner to try his hand on
it-too often to his proper discomfiture and disgrace. It must, after all, be
~ - __ -__
A ... DESCRIPTION OF EDINBURGH. BY THE REV. GEORGE GILFILLAN. THERaEr e various difficulties which press ...

Book 11  p. 1
(Score 1.49)

The Tolhwth] THE SIGNET ANI) ADVOCATES? LIBRARIES. 123
THE genius of Scott has shed a strange halo around
the memory of the grim and massive Tolbooth
prison, so much so that the creations of his imagination,
such as Jeanie and Effie Deans, take the
place of real persons of flesh? and blood, and suchtraders.
They have been described as being ?a
dramdrinking, news-mongering, facetious set of
citizens, who met every morn about seven o?clock,
and after proceeding to the post-office to ascertain
the news (when the mail arrived), generally adjourned
to a public-house and refreshed themselves
with a libation of brandy.? Unfounded articles of
intelligence that were spread abroad in those days
were usually named ? Lawnmarket Gazettes,? in
allusion to their roguish or waggish originators.
At all periods the Lawnmarket was a residence
for nien of note, and the frequent residence of
English and other foreign ambassadors; and so
long as Edinburgh continued to be the seat of the
Parliament, its vicinity to the House made it a
favourite and convenient resort for the members
of the Estates.
On the ground between Robert Gourlay?s house
and Beith?s Wynd we now find some of those portions
of the new city which have been engrafted on
the old. In Melbourne Place, at the north end of
George IV. Bridge, are situated many important
offices, such as, amongst others, those of the Royal
Medical Society, and the Chamber of Commerce
and Manufactures, built in an undefined style of
architecture, new to Edinburgh. Opposite, with
its back to the bridge, where a part of the line of
Liberton?s Wynd exists, is built the County Hall,
presenting fronts to the Lawnmarket and to St.
Giles?s. The last of these possesses no common
beauty, as it has a very lofty portico of finely-flutcd
columns, overshadowing a flight of steps leading to
the main entrance, which is modelled after the
choragic monument of Thrasyllus, while the ground
plan and style of ornament is an imitation of the
Temple of Erechtheius at Athens. It was erected
in 1817, and contains several spacious and lofty
court-rooms, with apartments for the Sheriff and
other functionaries employed in the business of the
county. The hall contains a fine statue of Lord
Chief Baron Dundas, by Chantrey.
is the power of genius, that with the name of the
Heart of Midlothian we couple the fierce fury of
the Porteous mob. ?Antique in form, gloomy and
haggard in aspect, its black stanchioned windows,
opening through its dingy walls like the apertures
~
Adjoining it and stretching eastward is the library
of the Writers to the Signet. It is of Grecian architecture,
and possesses two long pillared halls of
beautiful proportions, the upper having Corinthian
columns, and a dome wherein are painted the
Muses. It is 132 feet long by about 40 broad,
and was used by George IV. as a drawing-room,
on the day of the royal banquet in the Parliament ,
House. Formed by funds drawn solely from contributions
by Writers to H.M. Signet, it is under
a body of curators. The library contains more
than 60,000 volumes, and is remarkably rich in
British and Irish history.
Southward of it and lying psxallel with it, nearer
the Cowgate, is the Advocates? Library, two long
halls, with oriel windows on the north side. This
library, one of the five in the United Kingdom entitled
to a copy of every work printed in it, was
founded by Sir George Mackenzie, Dean of Faculty
in 168z, and contains some zoo,ooo volumes,
forming the most valuable cpllection of the kind
in Scotland. The volumes of Scottish poetry alone
exceed 400. Among some thousand MSS. are those
of Wodrow, Sir James Balfour, Sir Robert Sibbald,
and others. In one of the lower compartments
may be seen Greenshield?s statue of Sir Walter
Scott, and the original volume of Waverley; two
volumes of original letters written by Mary Queen
of Scots and Charles I.; the Confession of Faith
signed by James VI. and the Scottish nobles in
1589-90; a valuable cabinet from the old Scottish
mint in the Cowgate; the pennon borne by
Sir William Keith at Flodden; and many other
objects of the deepest interest. The office of
librarian has been held by many distinguished
men of letters; among them were Thomas Ruddiman,
in 1702; David Hume, his successor, in,
1752 ; Adani Ferguson ; and David Irving, LL.D.
A somewhat minor edifice in the vicinity forms
the library of the Solicitors before the Supreme
Court ... Tolhwth] THE SIGNET ANI) ADVOCATES? LIBRARIES. 123 THE genius of Scott has shed a strange halo around the ...

Book 1  p. 123
(Score 1.49)

42 EDINBURGH PAST AND PRESENT.
historian,-% man too great to be faultless, too honest and peculiar to be
without enemies, but whose name ranks with those of Knox, and Burns, and
BUCIUNAN'S GRAVK.
Chalmers, and William Wallace, and Robert Bruce, and David Hume, and Sir
Walter Scott, as belonging to the very first file of eminent Scotchmen.
Among others who repose here are Principal Robertson and Dr. M'Crie,
two opposites paired off in the Parliament of Death ; Dr. Hugh Blair, the
. . . . . .-. .. .. .I . .. ...,
* .
1
. .- . ._-. . . .
CRAVEOFTHEREGERTHORTON.
accomplished critic and smooth sermon-writer ; Allan Ramsay, who must
live as long as Edinburgh herseIf in his Gent& Sh.@herd; the learned Patrick
Tytler j 'and Henry Mackenzie, who, in his Mas of Fedirq,JuZia de Roubi.e, ... EDINBURGH PAST AND PRESENT. historian,-% man too great to be faultless, too honest and peculiar to be without ...

Book 11  p. 66
(Score 1.47)

......

Book 9  p. 437
(Score 1.41)

......

Book 9  p. 411
(Score 1.4)

Craigcrook.] HISTORY OF CRAIGCROOK. 107
summer residence of Lord Jeffrey-deeply secluded
amid coppice.
The lands of Craigcrook appear to have belonged
in the fourteenth century to the noble family of
Graham. By a deed bearing date 9th April, 1362,
Patrick Graham, Lord of Kinpunt, and David
Graham, Lord of Dundaff, make them over to
John de Alyncrum, burgess of Edinburgh. He
in turn settled them on a chaplain officiating at
?Our Lady?s altar,? in the church of St. Giles,
and his successors to be nominated by the magistrates
of Edinburgh.
John de Alyncrum states his donation of those
lands of Craigcrook, was ? to be for the salvation
of the souls of the late king and queen (Robert
and Elizabeth), of the present King David, and of
all their predecessors and successors ; for the salvation
of the souls of all the burghers of Edinburgh,
their predecessors and successors ; of his own father
and mother, brothers, sisters, etc. ; then of himself
and of his wife; and, finally, of all faithful souls
deceased.?
The rental of Craigcrook in the year 1368 was
only A6 6s. 8d. Scots per annum; and in 1376 it
was let at that rate in feu farm, to Patrick and
John Lepars.
At an early period it became the property of
the Adamsons. William Adamson was bailie of
Edinburgh in 1513, and one of the guardians of
the city after the battle of Flodden, and Williim
Adamson of Craigcrook, burgess of Edinburgh
(and probably son of the preceding), was killed at
the battle of Pinkie, in 1547 ; and by him or his
immediate successors, most probably the present
castle was built-an edifice wbich Wood, in his
learned ?? History of Cramond Parish,? regards
as one of the most ancient in the parish.
In consequence of the approaching Reformation,
the proceeds of the lands were no longer required
for pious purposes, and the latter were made over by
Sir Simon Prestonof Craigmillar, when Provost, to Sir
Edward Marj oribanks, styled Prebend of Craigcrook.
They were next held for a year, by George Kirkaldy,
brother of Sir James Kirkaldy of Grange in
Fifeshire, Lord High Treasurer of Scotland, who
engaged to pay for them A27 6s. 8d. Scots.
In June, 1542, they reverted again to Sir Edward
Majoribanks, who assigned them in perpetual feufarm
to William Adamson before-named. This
wealthy burgess had acquired much property in
the vicinity, including Craigleith, Cammo, Groat
Hall, Clermiston, Southfield, and part of Cramond
Regis. After Pinkie he was succeeded by his son
William, and Craigcrook continued to pass through
several generations of his heirs, till it came into
~~
the hands of Robert Adamson, who, in 1656, sold
to different persons the whole of his property.
Craigcrook was purchased by John Muir, merchant
in Edinburgh, whose son sold it to Sir John
Hall, Lord Provost of the city in 1689-92. He was
created a baronet in 1687, and was ancestor of the
Halls of Dunglass, on the acquisition of which, in
East Lothian, he sold Craigcrook to Walter Pringle,
advocate, from whose son it was purchased by John
Strachan, clerk to the signet.
When the latter died in 1719, he left the whole
of his property, with North Clermiston and the
rest of his fortune, both in land and movables
(save some small sums to his relations) ?? mortified
for charitable purposes,?
The regulations were that the rents should be
given to poor old men and women and orphans ;
that the trustees should be ?two advocates, two
Writers to the Signet, and the Presbytery of Edinburgh,
at the sight of the Lords of Session, and any
two of these members,? for whose trouble one
hundred merks yearly is allowed.
There are also allowed to the advocates, poor
fifty merks Scots, and to those of the writers to the
signet one hundred merks ; also twenty pounds
annually for a Bible to one of the members of the
Presbytery, beginning with the moderator and
going through the rest in rotation.
This deed is dated the 24th September, 1712.
The persons constituted trustees by it held a meeting
and passed resolutions respecting several
points which had not been regulated in the will. A
clerk and factor, each with a yearly allowance of
twenty pounds, were appointed to receive the
money, pay it out, and keep the books.
They resolved that no old person should be
admitted under the age of sixty-five, nor any orphan
above the age of twelve; and that no annuity
should exceed five pounds.
Among the names in a charter by William
Forbes, Provost of the Collegiate Church of St.
Giles, granting to that church a part of the ground
lying contiguous to his manse for a burial-place,
dated at Edinburgh, 14th January, 1477-8, there
appears that of Ricardus Robed, jrebena?anks de
Cragmk mansepropie (? Burgh Charters.?)
Over the outer gate of the courtyard a shield
bore what was supposed to have been the arms of
the Adamsons, and the date 1626 ; but Craigcrook
has evidently been erected a century before that
period. At that time its occupant was Walter
Adamson, who succeeded his father Willian~
Adamson in 1621, and whose sister, Catharine,
married Robert Melville of Raith, according to
the Douglas Peerage. ... HISTORY OF CRAIGCROOK. 107 summer residence of Lord Jeffrey-deeply secluded amid coppice. The lands ...

Book 5  p. 107
(Score 1.4)

Newhaven] FISHER SUPERSTITIONS. 305
polis of an ancient kingdom, this people remain unlucky ; of hares, terrible ! Should a reference
- in costume, and dialect in manners (?the man in the black coat ;?- .and Friday is an
and mode of thinking. The cus- unlucky day for everything but getting married;
toms, laws, and traditions of their forefathers I and?to talk of a certain man named Brounger
appear as if they had been stereotyped for their
use.?
They believe in many of the whimsical and ideal
terrors of past generations, and have many superstitions
that are not, perhaps, entirely their own.
While at sea, if the idea of a cat or a pig float
across the mind, their names must not be uttered,
-* e
135
-
is-according to the writer quoted-sure to
produce consternation.
John Brounger was an old fisherman of Newhaven,
who, when too feeble to go to sea, used to
ask for some oysters or fish from his neighbours on
their return, and if not amply supplied, he cursed
them, and wished them-on their next trip-?? ill ... FISHER SUPERSTITIONS. 305 polis of an ancient kingdom, this people remain unlucky ; of hares, terrible ! ...

Book 6  p. 305
(Score 1.37)

THE OLD TOWN. 33
Do& spirit. So that we may almost change the name of this Row slightly, and
call it Poet Xow. The name suggests to us a number of kindred spirits, such
as James Ballantine, Alexander Maclagan, Thomas Tod Stoddart, Alexader
Smart, William Sinclair', David Vedder, Robert Gilfillan, and Peter Gardner,-
all poets, and all more or less connected with Edinburgh and its Old Tom,-
not omitting one of a still higher order, EIugh Miller, also a poet, and who here
gained his richer laurels as a journalist and a scientific yet imaginative geologist.
Nor can we forget to mention among the past celebrities, Dean Ramsay,
the genial-hearted author of Reminisceaces of Scothsh Lqe and Character, Lord
Ardmillan, AIexander Russel, the able and dauntless editor of the Scotsman;
and among the present notabilities, Dr. John Brown, the ingenious author
of Rab and his liriends; Lords Deas, Neaves, and Moncreiff; J. Campbell
Smith, J. Arthur Crichton, J. Guthrie Smith, and William Pitt Dundas,
Registrar General for Scotland, among the advocates ; Dr. Donaldson and
Macdonald of the High School-elsewhere, Dr. Harvey, Clyde, Bryce, and
David Pryde ; among the divines, Dr. Cotterill, Dr. Macgregor of St. Cuthbert's,
Dr. Walter C. Smith, Dr. Andrew Thomson, Professor Kirk, Dr. W. Lindsay
Alexander; and at the New College, Professors Rainy, Duff, Duns, and Blaikie;
and among other men of letters, Dr. John Stuart of the Register House, David
Laing of the Signet Library, John Hill Burton, and Professor Archer. The
Museum of Science and Art behind the College is too well known to require ... OLD TOWN. 33 Do& spirit. So that we may almost change the name of this Row slightly, and call it Poet ...

Book 11  p. 55
(Score 1.37)

418 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
No. CLXV.
ALLAN MACDOUGALL, ESQ. OF GLENLOCHAN,
ALEXANDER WATSON, ESQ. OF GLENTURKIE,
AND
COLQUHOUN GRANT, ESQ.
THESE gentlemen were intimate friends, and of one profession-Writers to
the Signet. They are here represented in the prosecution of one of their many
walks in the neighbourhood of Edinburgh, where, at some snug house of entertainment,
they were regularly, at least once a week, in the habit of enjoying a
social dinner together.
ALLAN MACDOUGALL-the fir& of the trio-possessed the estate of
Glenlochan, in Argyleshire. Philipsfield, near Leith, now belonging to a gentleman
of the name of Boyd, was also his property. He resided at one period
at the Nether Eow, and latterly in Tweeddale's Court, He married a sister of
the late Lord Tweeddale, but had no family. Mr. Macdougall enjoyed an
excellent business, and was Agent for the Commissioners of the Annexed Estates
of Scotland. He was some time in partnership with hfr. George Andrew, who
held the appointment of Clerk to the Pipe, in conjunction with Alexander
Murray, afterwards Lord Henderland.
The centre figure, ALEXANDER WATSON of Glenturkie, has already been
noticed in the preceding Print.
COLQUHOUN GRANT (the last and most prominent person of the group)
and Mr. Watson were inseparable companions. Both gentlemen lived in
" single blessedness ;" and, having few attractions at home, they were in the
habit of dining daily together in the house of hfr. Thomas Sommers, vintner,
Jackson's Close. There they were furnished with a plain warm dinner at the
moderate charge of '' twa placks apiece ;" and so very frugal were they, that
half a bottle of claret betwixt them-and no more-was their stated allowance.
In those days there were no pint bottles, consequently they were under the
necessity of corking up the remaining portion of liquor for next day's repast.
These were what they called their 'L business delje.lint?s." Their dinners in the
country were of a different description ; and the glass was permitted to circulate
freely. ... BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. No. CLXV. ALLAN MACDOUGALL, ESQ. OF GLENLOCHAN, ALEXANDER WATSON, ESQ. OF ...

Book 8  p. 581
(Score 1.28)

......

Book 11  p. 169
(Score 1.26)

......

Book 9  p. 680
(Score 1.22)

......

Book 9  p. 133
(Score 1.2)

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 245
Edinburgh, the duties of which office he performed with the utmost fidelity.
While holding this situation, the Associate Union was accomplished-a measure
in which he greatly rejoiced, and was one of the committee appointed to
negotiate the conjunction.
Mr. Culbertson is known to the religious world as a writer of considerable
merit. He was one of the original editors of the Christian Magazine, of which
the following account is given by his biographer, Mr. Duncan of Mid-Calder :-
'' Among some brethren who were assisting in the dispensation of the Lord's
Supper at Craignailing, in the year 1796, the Evangelical Magazine, then the
only religious periodical publication, having become the subject of conversation,
the project of setting on foot a work of the same description in Scotland was
conceived, discussed, and resolved upon, provided proper and steady coadjutors
could be found. With Mr. Culbertson, the Rev. Messrs. Black of Dunfermline,
(one of the projectors), Peddie, M'Crie, and Moore, of Edinburgh, Whytock of
Dalkeith, and others, were associated as editors ; and under their management,
with a respectable body of contributors, that valuable repository of theological
and biblical knowledge commenced. After being carried on for seven or eight
years, it was left in the hands of Mr. Whytock of Dalkeith and (the late) Dr.
RI'Crie. At the close of 1806, one year after the demise of the former, the
work was given up by the latter. It was then claimed by Mr. Culbertson, as
one of the original editors; and, in 1807, a new series was commenced by
him, in conjunction with Mr. Black of Dunfermline, and the writer of this
memoir. The Rev. Afr. Simpson, once ministe? at Thurso, who had been
brought up under the pastoral care of Mr. Culbertson, having been admitted
to the charge of the Associate Congregation, Potterrow, Edinburgh, was assumed
next year into the editorship, and constituted chief conductor of the work. To
this Magazine Mr. Culbertson contributed largely, both in the old and in the
new series. At length, when occupied with his Lectures on the Revelation,
he retired, together with Dr, Black, and left the work to the two remaining
editors, by whom, with the help of respected brethren, it was carried on till the
union of the two great bodies of Seceders, when it was conjoined with the
Christian Repository, under the title of the Christian Monitor."
The various publications by Mr. Culbertson appeared in the following order:-
In 1800, "Hints on the Ordinance of the Gospel Ministry"-an exposure of
lay-preaching, and the inconsistency of latitudinarian fellowship. The same
year, "A Vindication of the Principles of Seceders on the Head of Communion
j " and, in 1808, " The Covenanter's Manual, or a short Illustration of
the Scripture Doctrine of Public Vows." Besides two sermons entitled " Consolation
to the Church," Mr. Culbertson published, in 1817, "The Pillar of
Rachel's Grave, or a Tribute of respect to departed Worth "-a sermon on the
death of the Princess Charlotte, and her infant son ; and, in 1820, on the demise
of George III., '' The Death and Character of Asa, King of Judah."
His chief work-" Lectures, Expository and Practical, on the Book of
Revelation ''-was fist published in two volumes, a few years prior to his death. ... SKETCHES. 245 Edinburgh, the duties of which office he performed with the utmost fidelity. While ...

Book 9  p. 326
(Score 1.19)

OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [George Street. I42
ever heard speak on such topics. The shrewdness
and decision of the man can, however, stand
in need of no testimony beyond what his own
conduct has afforded-above all, in the establishment
of his Aagazine (the conception of which,
I am assured, was entirely his own), and the sub.
sequent energy with which he has supported it
through every variety of good and evil fortune.?
Like other highly successful periodicals, BZackwoodls
Magazine has paid the penalty of its greatness,
for many serial publications have been pro
jected upon its plan and scope, without its in
herent originality and vigour.
William Blackwood published the principal works
of Wilson, Lockhart, Hogg, Galt, Moir, and othei
distinguished contributors to the magazine, as we1
as several productions of Sir Walter Scott. Hc
was twice a magistrate of his native city, and ir
that capacity took a prominent part in its affairs
He died on the 16th of September, 1834, in hi:
fifty-eighth year.
? Four months of suffering, in part intense,? sayr
the Mugazine for October, 1837, ? exhausted bj
slow degrees all his physical energies, but left hi:
temper calm and unruffled, and his intellect entira
and vigorous to the last. He had thus what nc
good man will consider as a slight privilege : thai
of contemplating the approach of death with tha
clearness and full strength of his mind and faculties
and of instructing those around him by the solemr
precefit and memorable example, by what mean:
humanity alone, conscious of its own fnilty, car
sustain that prospect with humble serenity.?
This is evidently from the pen of John Wilson
in whose relations with the magazine this deatk
made no change.
William Blackwood left a widow, seven sons
and two daughters; the former carried on-anc
their grandsons still carry on-the business in tha
old establishment in George Street, which, sincc
Constable passed away, has been the great literarj
centre of Edinburgh.
No. 49, the house of Wilkie of Foulden, i:
now a great music saloon; and No. 75, nog
the County Fire and other public offices, has a pe
culiar interest, as there lived and died the mothei
of Sir Walter Scott-Anne Rutherford, daughter o
Dr. John Rutherford, a woman who, the biographei
of her illustrious son tells us, was possessed o
superior natural talents, with a good taste foi
music and poetry and great conversational powers
In her youth she is said to have been acquainted
with Allan Kamsay, Beattie, Blacklock, and man)
other Scottish men of letters in the last century
and independently of the influence which her own
talents and acquirements may have given her in
training the opening mind of the future novelis4
it is obvious that he must have been much indebted
to her in early life for the select and intellectual
literary society of which her near relations were
the ornaments-for she was the daughter of a
professor and the sister of a professor, both of
the University of Edinburgh.
Her demise, on the 24th of December, 1819, is
simply recorded thus in the obituary :-? At her
house in George Street, Edinburgh, Mrs. Anne
Rutherford, widow of the late Walter Scott, Writer
to the Signet.?
? She seemed to take a very affectionate farewell
of me, which was the day before yesterday,? says
Scott, in a letter to his brother, in the 70th regiment,
dated nand December; ?and, as she was
much agitated Dr. Keith advised I should not see
her again, unless she seemed to desire it, which she
has not hitherto done. She sleeps constantly, and
will probably be so removed. Our family sends
love to yours.
? Yours most affectionately,
? WALTER SCOTT.?
No. 78 was, in 1811, the house of Sir John
Hay of Srnithfield and Hayston, Baronet, banker,
who married Mary, daughter of James, sixteenth
Lord Forbes. He had succeeded to the title in
the preceding year, on the death of his father,
Sir James, and is thus referred to in the scarce
? Memoirs of a Banking House,? by Sir William
Forbe?s of Pitsligo, Bart. :-
?Three years afterwards we made a further
change in the administration by the admission of
my brother-in-law, Mr. John Hay, as a partner.
In the year 1774, at my request, Sir Rebert Hemes
had agreed that he should go to Spain, and serve
an apprenticeship in his house at Barcelona,
where he continued till spring, 1776, when he
returned to London, and was received by Sir
Robert into his house in the City-from which, by
that time, our separation had taken place-and
where, as well as in the banking house in St.
James?s Street, he acted as a clerk till summer,
1778, when he came to Edinburgh, and entered
our country house also, on the footing of a confidential
clerk, during three years. Having thus
had an ample experience of his abilities and merit
as a man of business, on whom we might repose
the most implicit confidence, a new contract ot
co-partnery was formed, to commence from the 1st
of January, 1782, in which Mr. Hay was assumed
as a partner, and the shares stood as follow: Sir
William Forbes, nineteen, Mr. Hunter Blair, nine ... AND NEW EDINBURGH. [George Street. I42 ever heard speak on such topics. The shrewdness and decision of the ...

Book 3  p. 142
(Score 1.18)

Cowgate-l CAPTAIN CAYLEY. 243
Bridge, with a boldly moulded doorway, inscribed,
TECUM HABITA, 1616,
(i.e., ? keep at home ? or ? mind your own affairs ?)
indicates the once extensive tenement occupied by
the celebrated Sir Thomas Hope, King?s Advocate
of Charles I. in 1626, and one of the foremost men
.in Scotland, and who organised that resolute opposition
to the king?s unwise interference with the
Scottish Church, which ultimately led to the great
civil war, the ruin of Charles and his English
councillors.
This mansion was one of the finest and most
spacious of its day, and possessed a grand oak
staircase. ?AT HOSPES HUMO? was carved upon
one of the lintels, an anagram on the name of the
sturdy old Scottish statesman. In the Coltness
Collections, published by the Maitland Club, is
the following remark :-?? If the house near Cowgeat-
head, north syde that street, was built by
Sir Thomas Hope, the inscription on one of the
lintall-stones supports this etymologie-(viz., that
the Hopes derive their name from Houblon, the
Hopplant, and not from Zq%rance, the virtue of
the mind), for the anagram is At hs&s humo, and
has all the letters of Thomas Houpe.? But Hope
is a common name, and the termination of many
localities in Scotland.
In the tapestried chambers of this old Cowgate
mansion were held many of the Councils that led
to the formation of the noble army of the Covenant,
the camp of Dunselaw, and the total rout of the
English troops at Newburnford. Hope was held
by the Cavaliers in special abhorrence. ?Had
the d-d old rogue survived the Restohtion
he would certainly have been hanged,? wrote C.
Kirkpatrick Sharpe. ?My grandfather?s grandfather,
Sir Charles Erskine of Alva, disgraced
himself by marrying his daughter, an ugly slut.?
Honours accorded to him by Charles failed to
detach him from the national cause; in 1638 he
was one of the framers of the Covenant, and in
1645 was a Commissioner of Exchequer. Two of
his sons being raised to the bench while he was
yet Lord Advocate, he was allowed to wear his hat
when pleading before them, a privilege which the
Ring?s Advocate has ever since enjoyed.
He died in 1646, but must have quitted his
Cowgate mansion some time before that, as it
became the residence of Mary, Countess of John,
seventh Earl of Mar, guardian of Henry Duke
of Rothesay (afterwards Prince of Wales). She was
the daughter of Esme Stuart, Lord D?Aubigne and
Duke of Lennox, and she died in Hope?s house on
the 11th May, 1644.
These and the adjacent tenements, removed to
make way for the new bridge, were all of varied
character and of high antiquity, displaying in some
instances timber fronts and shot windows.
A little farther eastward were the old Back
Stairs, great flights of stone steps that led through
what was once the Kirkheugh, to the Parliament
Close. Here resided the young English officer,
Captain Cayley, whose death at the hands of the
beautiful Mrs. Macfarlane, on the 2nd October,
1716, made much noise in its time, and was referred
to by Pope in one of his letters to Lady
Mary Wortley Montagu.
Captain John Cayley, Commissioner of Customs,
was a conspicuous member of a little knot of unwelcome
and obnoxious English officials, whom
new arrangements subsequent to the Union had
brought into Edinburgh. He seems to have been
a vain . and handsome fellow, whose irregular
passions left him little prudence or discretion.
Among his new acquaintances in the Scottish
capital was a young married woman of uncommon
beauty, the daughter of Colonel Charles Straitona
well-known adherent of James VII1.-and wife
of John Macfarlane, Writer to the Signet, at one
time agent to Simon Lord Lovat. By her mother?s
side she was the grand-daughter of Sir Andrew
Forester.
One Saturday forenoon Mrs. Macfarlane, then
only in her twentieth year, and some months
enceinte, was exposed by the treachery of Captain
Cayley?s landlady to an insult of the most atrocious
kind on his part, in his house adjacent to the Back
Stairs-one account says opposite to them. On
the Tuesday following he visited Mrs. Macfarlane
at her own house, and was shown into the drawingroom,
anxious-his friends alleged--to apologise
for his recent rudeness. Other accounts say that
he had meanly and revengefully circulated reports
derogatory to her honour, and that she was resolved
to punish him. Entering the room with a brace of
pistols in her hand, she ordered him to leave the
house instantly. .
?What, madam,? said he, ? d?ye design to act a
comedy?? ?If you do not retire instantly you
will find it a tragedy!? she replied, sternly.
As he declined to obey her command, she fired
one of the pistols-cayley?s own pair, borrowed but
a few days before by her husband-and wounded
his left wrist With what object-unless selfpreservation-
it is impossible to say, Cayley drew
his sword, and the moment he did so, she shot him
through the heart So close were they together
that Cayley?s shirt was burned at the left sleeve by
one pistol, and at the breast by the other, ... adherent of James VII1.-and wife of John Macfarlane, Writer to the Signet , at one time agent to Simon ...

Book 4  p. 243
(Score 1.15)

collected ; the City Guard came promptiy on the
spot, and when the prisoner recovered from his
swoon he was safe in his old quarters, which did
not hold him long, however, as it would appear
from the old folio of Douglas. Peerage that he
escaped in his sister?s clothes. Yet as Lord Burleigh
died in 1713, Douglas in this matter seems
to confound him with his son, the Master.
Of all the thousands who must have been prisoners
there, recorded and unrecorded, on every conceiv-
The malt-tax, the dismissal of the Duke of Roxburgh
from his ofice as Scottish Secretary of State,
and the imposition of an intolerable taxation, the first
result of the Union, and the endeavours of the revenue
officers to repress smuggling, all embittered
the blood of the people. The latter officials were
either all Englishmen, ?? or Scotsmen, chosen, as
was alleged, on account of their treachery to Scottish
interests, and received but little support even
from local authorities. If in their occasional
INTERIOR OF THE SIGNET LIBRARY. (FWUI a Vinujublidud in 1829)
able charge, the stories of none have created more
excitement than those of Captain Porteom, of
Ratharine Nairne, and another prisoner named
Hay; and singular to say, the names of none of
them appear in the mutilated record just quoted.
Porteous has been called the real hero of the
Tolbooth. ?The mob that thundered at its
ancient portals on the eventfd night of the 7th of
September, 1736, and dashed through its blazing
embers to drag forth the victim of their indignant
revenge, has cast into shade all former acts of
Lynch h w , for which the Edinburgh populace
were once so notorious.? But the real secret and
mainspring of the whole kagedy was jealousy of
the treatment of Scotland by the ministry in
Lcndon
collisions with smugglers they shed blood, hey
were at once prosecuted, and an outcry was raised
that Englishmen should not be allowed to slaughter
Scotsmen with impunity.? At length these quarrels
led to and culminated in the Porteous mob.
The seaport towns with which the coast of Fife
is so thickly studded were at this time much
infested by Scottish bands of daring smuggiers,
many of whom had been buccaneers in the Antilles
and Gulf of Florida, and thus were constantly at
war with the revenue officials. One of these contrabandistas,
named Wilson, in revenge for various
seizures and fines, determined to rob the collector
of Customs at Pittenweem, and in this, with the aid
of a lad named Robertson and two others, he fully
succeeded They were all apprehended, and tried ; ... ; the City Guard came promptiy on the spot, and when the prisoner recovered from his swoon he was safe ...

Book 1  p. 128
(Score 1.14)

......

Book 8  p. 420
(Score 1.13)

OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Moultray?s Hill.
- 368 -__
Courts, and large apartments for the stowage of
registers. In 1869 the folio record volumes numbered
42,835, occupying the shelves of twenty-one
chambers.
In one of the largest rooms are preserved the
rolls of ancient Parliaments, the records of the
Privy Council, charters of the sovereigns of
Scotland from William the Lion to the days of
Queen Anne, and on the central table lies the
Scottish duplicate of the Treaty of Union. In these
immediately to the transmission of landed property
in Scotland, and to the condition of Scottish society.
Others illustrate the relations of Scotland
with foreign countries, but more especially with
England.
The Lord Clerk Register and Keeper of the
Signet, who is a Minister of State of Scotland, and
whose office is of great antiquity, has always been
at the head of this establishment, which includes
various offices, such as those of the Lord Lyon,
ANTIQUARIAN ROOM, REGISTER HOUSE.
fireproof chambers is deposited a vast quantity
of valuable and curious legal and historical documents,
such as the famous letter of the Scottish
barons to the Pope in 1320, declaring that ?so
long as one hundred Scotsmen remained alive,
they would never submit to the dominion of
England,? adding, ?it is not for glory, riches, or
honour, that we fight, but for that liberty which no
good man will consent to lose but with life!?
There, too, is preserved the Act of Settlement of
the Scottish crown upon the House of Stuart, a
document through which the present royal family
inherits the throne ; the original deed initiating the
College of Justice by James V.; &c. Of all the
mass of records preserved here some relate more
the Lords Commissioners of Tiends, the Clerk and
Extractors of the Court of Session, the Jury Court,
and Court of Justiciary, the Great or Privy Seal,
and the Register General.
In 1789, at the request of Lord Frederick Camp-.
bell, a military guard was first placed upon this.
ihportant public building, and two sentinels were
posted, one at the east and the other at the west
end. In the same year lamps were first placed
upon it.
In modem times the two chief departments of
the Lord Clerk Register?s duty was the registration
of title deeds and the custody of historical
documents. Originally, like the Master of the
Rolls in England, he occasionally exercised judicia) ... AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Moultray?s Hill. - 368 -__ Courts, and large apartments for the stowage of registers. In ...

Book 2  p. 367
(Score 1.12)

325 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Bristo Sheet.
g died; but Scotland was not then, nor for long
after, susjected to the incessant immigration of the
Irish poor, The government of this house was
vested in ninety-six persons, who met quarterly,
and fifteen managers, who met weekly. There
were also a treasurer, chaplain, surgeon, and other
officials.
This unsightly edifice survived the Darien House
for some years, but was eventually removed to
make way for the handsome street in a line with
George IV. Bridge, containing the Edinburgh Rifle
Volunteer Hall, and the hall of the Odd Fellows.
At the acute angle between Forrest Road and
Bristo Street is the New North Free Church,
erected in 1846. It presents Gothic fronts to both
thoroughfares, and, has a massive projecting front
basement, adorned with a small Gothic arcade.
In 1764 we first hear of something like a trade
strike, when a great number of journeyman masons
met in July in Bristo Park (on the open side of
the street, near Lord ROSS?S house), where they
formed a combination ?not to work in the ensuing
week unless their wages were augmented. This,
it seems, they communicated to their masters on
Saturday night, but had no satisfactory answer.
Yestcrday morning they came to work, but finding
no hopes of an augmentation, they all, with one
consent, went oft The same evening the mastermasons
of the city, Canongate, Leith, and suburbs,
met in order to concert what measures may be
proper to be taken in this affair.? (Edin. Adnert.,
They resolved not to increase the wages of the
men, and to take legal advice ?to prevent undue
combinations, which are attended with many bad
effects.? The sequel we have no means of knowing.
The same print quoted records a strike among the
sweeps, or tronmen, in the same park, and elsewhere
adds that ? an old soldier has lately come to town
who sweeps chimneys after the English manner,
which has so disgusted the society cif chimneysweepers
that they refuse to sweep any unless this
man is obliged to leave the town, upon which a
number of them have been put in prison to-day.
They need not be afraid of this old soldier taking
the bread from them, as few chimneys in this place
will admit of a man going through.them.? (Edin.
Adverf., Vol. 111.)
In the Bristo Port, or that portion of the street
so called, stood long the Old George Inn, from
whence the coaches, about 1788, were wont to set
forth for Carlisle and London, three weekly-fare
to the former, AI IOS., to the latter, A3 10s. 6dand
from whence, till nearly the railway era, the
waggons were despatched every lawful day to
Vol. 11.)
London and all parts of England ; ?? also every day
to Greenock, Glasgow, and the west of Scotland.?
Southward of where .this inn stood is now St.
Mary?s Roman Catholic school, formerly a church,
built in 1839. It is a pinnacled Gothic edifice, and
was originally dedicated to St Patrick, but was
superseded in 1856, when the great church in the
Cowgate was secured by the Bishop of Edinburgh.
Lothian Street opens eastward from this point
In a gloomy mZ-de-sac on its northern side is a
circular edifice, named Brighton Chapel, built in
1835, and seated for 1,257 persons. Originally, it
was occupied by a relief congregation. The continuation
of the thoroughfare eastward leads to
College Street, in which we find a large United
Presbyterian church.
In a court off the east side of Bristo Street, a few
yards south from the east end.of Teviot Row, is
another church belonging to the same community,
which superseded the oldest dissenting Presbyterian
church in Edinburgh. In a recently-published
history of this edifice, we are told that early in the
century, ?when the old church was pulled down,
within the heavy canopy of the pulpit ? (the sounding-
board) ?( were found three or four skeletons of
horses? heads, and underneath the pulpit platform
about twenty more. It was conjectured that they
had been placed there from some notion that the
acoustics of the place would be improved.?
The church was built in 1802, at a cost of
&,o84, and was enlarged afterwards, at a further
cost of A1,515, and interiorly renovated in 1872
for A~,300. It is a neat and very spacious edifice,
and was long famous for the ministry of the Rev.
Dr. James Peddie, who was ordained as a pastor of
that congregation on the 3rd April, 1783. On his
election, a large body of the sitters withdrew, and
formed themselves into the Associate Congregation
of Rose Street, of which the Rev. Dr. Hall
subsequently became minister ; but the Bristo
Street congregation rapidly recruited its numbers
under the pastoral labours of Dr. Peddie, and from
that time has been in a most flourishing condition.
In 1778, when six years of age, Sir Walter Scott
attended the school of Mr. Johu Luckmore, in
Hamilton?s Entry, off Bristo Street, a worthy preceptor,
who was much esteemed by his father, the
old Writer to the Signet, with whom he was for
many years a weekly guest. The school-house,
though considerably dilapidated, still exists, and
is occupied as a blacksmith?s shop. It is a small
cottage-like building with a red-tiled roof, situated
on the right-hand side of the court called Hamilton?s
Entry, No. 36, Bristo Street. As to the identity of
the edifice there can be no doubt, as it was ... preceptor, who was much esteemed by his father, the old Writer to the Signet , with whom he was for many ...

Book 4  p. 326
(Score 1.11)

Lauriston.] JOHN LAW OF LAURISTON. 111
tisement announces, ? that there was this day
lodged in the High Council House, an old silver
snuff-box, which was found upon the highway leading
from Muttonhole to Cramond Bridge in the
month of July last. Whoever can prove the property
will get the box,.upon paying the expense incurred;
and that if this is not done betwixt this
and the roth of November next, the same will be
sold for payment thereof.? .
In the time of King David 11. a charter was
given t9 John Tennand of the lands of Lauriston,
with forty creels of peats in Cramond, in the county
of Edinburgh, paying thirty-three shillings and fourpence
to the Crown, and the same sum sterling to
the Bishop of Dunkeld.
The present Castle of Lauriston-which consisted,
before it was embellished by the late Lord Rutherford,
of a simple square three-storeyed tower, with
two corbelled turrets, a remarkably large chimney,
and some gableted windows-was built by Sir
Archibald Kapier of Merchiston and Edenbellie,
father of the philosopher, who, some years before
his death, obtained a charter of the lands and
meadow, called the King?s Meadow, 1?587-8 and of
half the lands of ?& Lauranstoun,? 16th November,
1593.
On two of the windows there yet remain his
initials, S. A N., and those of his wife, D. E. M.,
Dame Elizabeth Mowbray, daughter of Mowbray
of Banibougle, now called Dalmeny Park.
Tie tower gave the title of Lord Launston to
their son, Sir Alexander Napier, who became a
Lord of Session in 1626.
Towards the close of the same century the tower
and estate became the property of Law, a wealthy
gddsmith of Edinburgh, descended from the Laws
of Lithrie, in Fifeshire ; and in the tower, it is said,
his son John, the great financier, was born in April,
1671. There, too, the sister of the latter, Agnes,
was married in 1685 to John Hamilton, Writer to
the Signet in Edinburgh, where she died in 1750.
On his father?s death Law succeeded to Lauriston,
but as he had been bred to no profession, and
exhibited chiefly a great aptitude for calculation,
he took to gambling. This led him into extravagances.
He became deeply involved, but his
mother paid his debts and obtained possession of
the estate, which she immediately entailed. Tall,
handsome, and addicted to gallantry, he became
familiarly known as Beau Law in London, where
he slew a young man named Wilson in a duel, and
was found guilty of murder, but was pardoned by
the Crown. An appeal being made against this
pardon, he escaped from the King?s Bench, reached
France, and through Holland returned to Scotland
(Robertson?s Index.)
in 1700, and in the following year published at
Glasgow his ? Proposals and Reasons for Constituting
a Council of Trade in Scotland.?
He now went to France, where he obtained an
introduction to the Duke of Orleans, and offered
his banking scheme to the hfinister of Finance,
who deemed it so dangerous that he served him
with a police notice to quit Paris in twenty-four
hours. Visiting Italy, he was in the same summary
manner banished from Venice and Genoa as a daring
adventurer. His success at play was always
great; thus, when he returned to Pans during the
Regency of Orleans, he was in the possession of
&IOO,OOO sterling.
On securing the patronage of the Regent, he received
letters patent which, on the 2nd March, I 7 16,
established his bank, with a capital of 1,200 shares
of 500 livres each, which soon bore a premium.
To this bank was annexed the famous Mississippi
scheme, which was invested with the full sovereignty
of Louisiana for planting co1onie.s and extending
commerce-the grandest and most comprehensive
scheme ever conceived-and rumour went that gold
mines had been discovered of fabulous and mysterious
value.
The sanguine anticipations seemed to be realised,
and for a time prosperity and wealth began to pre
vail in France, where John Law was regarded as its
good genius and deliverer from poverty.
The house of Law in the Rue Quinquempoix, in
Pans, was beset day and night by applicants, who
blocked up the streets-peers, prelates, citizens,
and artisans, even ladies of rank, all flocked to that
temple of Plutus, till he was compelled to transfer
his residence to the Place VendBme. Here again
the prince of stockjobbers found himself overwhelmed
by fresh multitudes clamouring for allotments,
and having to shift his quarters once more,
he purchased from the Prince de Carignan, at an
enormous price, the HBtel de Soissons, in the
spacious gardens of which he held his levees.
It is related of him, that when in the zenith of his
fame and wealth he was visited by John the ?great
Euke of Argyle,? the latter found him busy writing.
The duke never doubted but that the financier
was engaged on some matter of the highest importance,
as crowds of the first people of France were
waiting impatiently an audience in the suites of
ante-rooms, and the duke had to wait too, until &It.
Law had finished his letter, which was merely one
to his gardener at Lauriston regarding the planting
of cabbages at a particular spot !
In 1720 he was made Comptroller-General ot
the Finances, but the crash came at last. The
amount of notes issued by Law?s bank more
? ... JOHN LAW OF LAURISTON. 111 tisement announces, ? that there was this day lodged in the High Council ...

Book 5  p. 111
(Score 1.1)

204 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Moray Place.
~~
reputation, but he was too much a votary of the
regular old rhetorical style of poetry to be capable
of appreciating the Lake school, or any others
among his own contemporaries; and thus he was
apt to make mistakes, draw wrong deductions as
to a writer?s future, and indulge in free-and-easy
condemcation.
He \vas passionately attached to his native city,
Edinburgh, and was always miserable when away
from it. It was all
the same through
life - he never
could reconcile
himself to new
places,new people,
or strange habits ;
and thcs it was
that his letters, in
age, from Oxford,
from London? and
America, teem
with complaints,
and longing for
home. His in.
dustry was indefatigable,
and his
general information
of the widest
range, perfectly
accurate, and alway-
s at command
He died in 1850,
in his seventyseventh
year, and
was borne from
Moray Place to
his last home in
the cemetery at
the Dean.
In No. 34 lived
the Hon. Baron
successively Sheriff of Berwickshire and of West
Lothian, Professor of Scots Law in the University
of Edinburgh, and Baron of Exchequer till the
abolition of the Court in 1830. His great work on
the Criminal Law of Scotland has been deemed the
text-book of that department of jurisprudence, and
is constantly referred to as an authority, by bench
and bar. It was published in 2 vols. quarto in
1799. He died at Edinburgh on the 30th August,
FRANCIS, LORD JEFFRLY. (A/er fhe Pmt7a.i 6y Cnluin Smith, R.S.R.)
David Hume, of the Scottish Exchequer in 1779
and 1780, nephew of the historian, and an eminent
writer on the criminal jurisprudence of the country,
one of the correspondents of the Mirror Club, and
who for many years sat with Sir Walter Scott, at
the Clerks? table in the first Division of the Court
of Session. . No. 47 was long the abode of Sir
James Wellwood Moncreiff, Bart., of Tullibole in
Kinross-shire, who was called to the Scottish bar
in 1799, and was raised to the bench in 1829,
under the title of Lord MoncreifT, and died in
1851.
His contemporary Baron Hume, tilled various
important situations with great ability, having been
1S38, and left in
the hands of the
secretary of the
Royal Society of
Edinburgh a valuable
collection of
MSS. and letters
belonging to, or
relating to his
celebrated uncle,
the historian of
England.
In Forres Street
-a short and
steep one opening
south from Moray
Place-No. 3 was
the residence of
the great Thomas
Chalmers, D.D.,
the leader of the
F r e e C h u r c h
movement, a largehearted,
patriotic,
and devout man,
and of whom it
has been said,
that he was preeminently
in the
unity of an undivided
life, at
once a man of
man of the world. God, a man of science, and a
He was born on the 17th of March, 1780. As a
preacher, it is asserted, that there were few whose
eloquence was capable of producing an effect
so strong and irresistible as his, without his ever
having recourse to any of the arts of common
pulpit enthusiasm.
His language was bold and magnificent; his
imagination fertile and distinct, gave richness to his
style, while his arguments were supplied with a vast
and rapid diversity of illustration, and all who ever
heard him, still recall Thomas Chalmers with serious
and deep-felt veneration.
He is thus described in his earlier years, and ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Moray Place. ~~ reputation, but he was too much a votary of the regular old ...

Book 4  p. 204
(Score 1.09)

196 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGR, [High Street.
Torthorwald could defend himself, ran him through
the body, and slew him on the spot.
Stewart fled from the city, and of him we hear
no more ; but the Privy Council niet twice to consider
what should be done now, for all the Douglases
were taking arms to attack the Stewarts of
Ochiltree. Hence the Council issued imperative
orders that the Earl of Morton, James Commendator
of Melrose, Sir George and Sir Archibald
Douglas his uncles, William Douglas younger of
Drumlanrig, Archibald Uouglas of Tofts, Sir James
Dundas of Arniston, and others, who were breathing
vengeance, should keep within the doors of
their dwellings, orders to the same effect being
issued to Lord Ochiltree and all his friends.
? There is a remarkable connection of murders
recalled by this shocking transaction,? says a historian.
?? Not only do we ascend to Torthorwald?s
slaughter of Stewart in 1596, and Stewart?s deadly
prosecution of Morton to the scaffold in 1581 ; but
William Stewart was the son of Sir William Stewart
who was slain by the Earl of Bothwell in the Blackfriars
Wynd in 1588.?
A carved marble slab in the church of Holyrood,
between two pillars on the north side, still marks
the grave of the first lord, who took his title from
the lonely tower of Torthonvald on the green brae,
between Lockerbie and Dumfries. It marks also
the grave of his wife, Elizabeth Carlyle of that ilk,
and bears the arms of the house of Douglas,
quartered with those of Carlyle and Torthorwald,
namely, beneath a ch2f charged with three pellets,
a saltire proper, and the crest, a star, with the inscription
:-
? Heir lyis ye nobil and poten Lord Jarnes Dovglas, Lord
of Cairlell and Torthorall, vlm maned Daime Eliezabeth
Cairlell, air and heretrix yalof; vha vas slaine in Edinburghe
ye xiiii. day of Ivly, in ye zeier of God 1608-vas slain in
48 ze.
The guide daily reads this epitaph to hundreds
of visitors ; but few know the series of tragedies of
which that slab is the closing record.
In the year 1705, Archibald Houston, Writer to
the Signet in Edinburgh, was slain in the High
Street. As factor for the estate of Braid, the property
of his nephew, he had incurred the anger of
Kennedy of Auchtyfardel, in Lanarkshire, by failing
to pay some portion of Bishop?s rents, and Houston
had been ?put to the horn? foithis debt. On the
20th March, 1705, Kennedy and his two sons left
their residence in the Castle Hill, to go to the usual
promenade of the time, the vicinity of the Cross.
They met Houston, and used violent language, to
: which he was not slow in retorting. Then Gilbert
Kennedy, Auchtyfardel?s son, smote him on the
L. I. D. E. C.?
face, while the idlers flocked around them. Blows
with a cane were exchanged, on which Gilbert Kennedy
drew his sword, and, running Houston through
the body, gave him a mortal wound, of which he
died. He was outlawed, but in time returned
home, and succeeded to his father?s estate. According
to Wodrow?s ? Analecta,? he became morbidly
pious, and having exasperated thereby a
servant maid, she gave him some arsenic with his
breakfast of bread-and-milk, in 1730, and but for
the aid of a physician would have avenged the
slaughter gf Houston near the Market Cross in
1705.
One of the last brawls in which swords were
drawn in the High Street occurred in the same
year, when under strong external professions of
rigid ?Sabbath observance and morose sanctity of
manner there prevailed much of secret debauchery,
that broke forth at times. On the evening of the
2nd of February there had assembled a party in
Edinburgh, whom drinking and excitement had so
far carried away that nothing less than a dance in
the open High Street would satisfy them. Among
the party were Ensign Fleming of the Scots
Brigade in the Dutch service, whose father, Sir
James Fleming, Knight, had been Lord Provost in
1681 ; Thomas Barnet, a gentleman of the Horse
Guards ; and John Galbraith, son of a merchant in
the city. The ten o?clock bell had been tolled in
the Tron spire, to warn all good citizens home;
and these gentlemen, with other bacchanals, were
in full frolic at a pzrt of the street where there was
no light save-such as might fall from the windows
of the houses, when a sedan chair, attended by two
footmen, one of whom bore a lantern, approached.
In the chair was no less a personage than David
Earl of Leven, General of the Scottish Ordzance,
and member of the Privy Council, proceeding on
his upward way to the Castle of which he was
governor. It was perilous work to meddle with
such a person in those times, but the ensign and his
friends were in too reckless a mood to think of
consequences; so when Galbraith, in his dance
reeled against one of the footmen, and was warned
off with an imprecation, Fleming and his friend of
the Guards said, ? It would be brave sport to overturn
the sedan in the mud.? At once they assailed
the earl?s servants, and smashed the lantern. His
lordship spoke indignantly from his chair ; then
drawing his sword, Fleming plunged it into one
of the footmen ; but he and the others were overpowered
and captured by the spectators.
The young ?rufflers,? on learning the rank of
the man they had insulted, were naturally greatly
alarmed, and Fleming dreaded the loss of his corn
? ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGR, [High Street. Torthorwald could defend himself, ran him through the body, and slew him ...

Book 2  p. 196
(Score 1.08)

......

Book 9  p. 78
(Score 1.08)

......

Book 8  p. 146
(Score 1.08)

  Previous Page Previous Results   Next Page More Results

  Back Go back to Edinburgh Bookshelf

Creative Commons License The scans of Edinburgh Bookshelf are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.